• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Not much action on the Leech forum lately.

Just got back from a trip to the big pond, found that fishing was pretty good over on the east side. Walleyes from 13 to 24" were biting well on bait by 5 Mile in the wind. A few walleyes were caught on plugs near Pelican Island and south end of Bear (if you could dodge all the gill nets) in the evenings. I was surprised to get a lot of nice perch as well on Raps.

Bass were active in Boy Bay slop areas on surface lures. We landed 20 in 3 hrs and had a lot more bites. Crappies were slow in the same area but lots of sunfish were biting. The weeds are getting thick in those areas.

Tried a few muskie plugs out on the rocks one afternoon and got only one follow but she was a biggie.

A huge lake fly hatch happened Wed evening, this will go on for a couple weeks. Makes fishing a little more tough but it is really something to see.

Yup, things have been real slow on this forum lately.

Sounds like you did pretty good, must have a place on the east side? I have never been over there,well almost never, launched at tonga's one time, mostly fish the west side, that's where we have a cabin. Have'nt fished much this year but did real well on big hardwood point on the fri. of memorial wkend. Shadraps caught northerns, walleye and perch, all the perch were keepers, sometimes I wondered if it was a walleye, the perch were so big. had a blast! Could have caught more but it was time to go and fillet fish for the pan. Perch and walleye are hard to beat in the pan but northerns with the Y-bones out are mighty tasty too.

From what I here from my up-north neighbors fishing has been pretty good this spring over the entire area.

Just a quick update on Leech. I spent most of last week on Leech, and the fishing was pretty good. The walleyes were going good most of the week, we could always catch a few early and late in the day. The most fun we had fishing was for bass. The largemouth were in the shallow reeds and rice beds, and they were big ones. On Saturday the lake was flat, so we hit the reeds and rice, and the bass fishing was incredible - spinner baits followed up with green worms. You need to use heavy tackle to get them out of there, but what a beautiful bunch of fish. All were catch and release so they are still there!

If you want panfish, the sunnies were in there as well, and they look like nice ones as well. Lesson learned for the week - don't get hung up on one species (walleyes) and have some fun chasing bass, notherns, and panfish. Leech has alot to offer, as long as you are flexible.

I am guessing that the walleye fishing off Sand Point in the evening should be picking up soon. Any of you guys have marine band radio in your boats? I spend most weekends on our cruiser on Leech. Now I can start to fish with raps, etc since my troll speed is a little fast. Tip is to start fishing when the sun hits the trees.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to Leech for 1 week next sat. Just wondering if anyone has any info on what presentations/colors have been working. Looking for mostly walleye info. thanks

I and my daughter tried Leech tonite for the first time this year. We caught 8 walleyes. A few perch and one rock bass. The largest walleye was 29" and the smallest 16". Those two were the only two out of the slot. We released all of the fish back in great shape. We started at 8:00 PM and quit at 10:30. Almost all were caught after 9:30. Hope this helps you, have fun.

great to hear those kind of reports. Were you slip bobbering, lindy rigging, or trolling shads?

I am also heading up for the 4th.Curious which end of the lake is doing better I will be on the west side by steamboat, sandpoint might be a nice spot for the dark hours is it worth my time or should I head to the big water.

Just got up here yesterday (sat) will be here all week.staying south of bear island at chippewa resort.wondering some spots to pick up some eyes,northerns and skis. not real familiar to this lake and help greatly appreciated.

Hit leech on Friday and Saturday night. One 29in eye on friday and a few northerns off morris point in walker bay. Does anyone have any experience at sand point? Are they actually biting there or do all the boats just head out to that area because they see other boats???

Fish can be had at sand point, but I'm not a fan of bumper boats. I may take a few passes along the edges, But I rarely pull more than a fish or two.

I was at sand pt last night 7:00-10:30 pulled 3 eyes 17" 20",22" using crayfish shad rap #5 at about 2 mph.

I too will be heading up for a long weekend over the fourth. Has the fishing stayed best in the early morning and late evening like previous reports said?

We are staying near stony point. Is pulling raps the best, or should we try dragging some bait across the bottom? Mostly looking for walleye.

Hope you all have a great time and wonderful luck. We will be heading up to Sugar Point on the 14th. Hope to see some nice reports from this week.

Spent 6/29 - 7/8 at the cabin between sugar point and 5 mile. Fishing couldn't have been better. We caught tons of fish of all kinds. Walleyes where between 13" - 27 1/2". Caught tons walleyes under 18" and about 50 that were over 18".

I had one of my best day of walleye fishing last saturday. Caught about 15 eyes with 6 in the slot 24, 25, 25 1/2, and a 26. Before that I have only caught 2 eyes over 23".

Caught tons of northerns that were mixed in with the walleyes. The eyes and northerns where caught on #7 or #8 shad raps in 12 to 14 feet during the day. #5 at night in 9 to 10 feet at night in the same area as during the day.

Crappies and perch where active during the day on the north end of portage bay.

I got out bass fishing once and caught about 20 in boy bay on senkos in the rice and reeds. They were between 14 and 19".

Muskies fishing was good over the course of the week. I think my uncle, cousin, and who ever else went with my uncle had close to 50 follows with 4-5 fish caught. My cousin also caught an upper 40" fish on a #7 shad rap. I also had a low 40" follow about a 25" northern up to the boat.

All in All it couldn't have been any funner.

I'll Hope fully have pics up by the end of the week. laugh.gif

Great report No Net. Sounds like the Leech of old.

Thanks,

tweed

No Net, if you don't mind, shoot me an email at rueckerto at hotmail (Contact Us Please) com. Just wondering if we know each other, both being form New Ulm. My inlaws have a lake home in longville which I go to, but often think about making a run up to leech. Only problem I have no clue where to go.

Great report! We are heading up tomorrow, and should have a great trip.

Thanks!

If you guys want to see less boats and great daytime action fish rigs and slipbobbers once you locate the fish on the flats in walker bay. During lowlight hours the walleyes move up on the sand to feed on crawfish which come out of the weeds and are easy pickins, but during the day any sort of walleye chop in combination with some overcast skies will help the daytime bite. Target the edges of the sand and weeds electric trolling super slow until you find a concentration of fish. Then anchor a good hundred to hundred and fifty feet upwind and slipbobber them. I also use flourocarbon leaders it helps big time. The last time I was up I used this technique to boat 54 fish in about 4 hours of fishing. By the time I was ready to go I had a gallery of about 20 onlooking boats, a few of which I gave pointers so they too could get in on the action. Good luck

Just got back from a week up at Leech. Caught tons of nice crappies, some Jumbo perch, and a few slimers. Didn't fish for anything else since I'm a crappie fisherman at heart, and this is the first time in the 8 years I've been going that I've even seen a crappie. It got cold early in the week which shut them down for the day but they picked back up a couple days after the cold front came through.

I would love to get the kids into some crappies, but have always been told you need to run to portage bay...is that true???

Just finished a week on Leech. We had a great week catching a lot of jumbo perch and northerns in Portage Bay and Boy Bay. The few northerns we kept were between 7 and 8 pounds. Didn't really fish for anything else. Picked up several sun fish close to Sugar Point. The perch fishing was the best I have experienced on Leech.

I was in Portage Bay all week as that is where the resort we stay at is in. They are sure some big slabs in that lake; hopefully they'll be there next year as well.