Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cell Coverage

16 posts in this topic

I am staying on the north end of Vermillion in a couple weeks and I was wondering if T-Mobile gets any coverage up there.

Post deleted by SemperFi

T-Mobile doesn't cover any of Lake Vermilion to my knowledge. You will be roaming on Cingular's network, assuming you have a quad-band phone.

There was a tower constructed recently near cook. I think it is a cellular one tower. Anyway you can roam on it with Tmobile if your phone does 850MHz, which the newer tmobile phones mostly do.

Before that, we lost service at 53 and 169 outside virginia. Now we have coverage unless I get too far out in wakemup bay.

For anyone who cares, I had Verizon up until two years ago and it didn't have service on the northwest corner of the lake. I have Sprint now and I can pay roaming charges in the town of Cook but that's about it.

I had sprint and mine was roaming on pike bay but ive used it all the way out to stuntz bay too. I got verizon now though.

Tmobile and Cingular both use the same GSM technology. Neither has a network in the area. However, subscribers automatically roam onto the Cellular One network. When I visit the lake I stay in the west central area. Coverage is spotty but I can move around and usually get coverage. Coverage is better if you are on the lake rather than on land where the signal is absorbed by the trees.

i live in cook, celluar one works good about 1/2 way around the north side..i don't have signal on norwiegion bay...my older virgin mobile would lose signal south of cook...good luck...fish relax pretend you thought your phone worked!!

Quote:

i live in cook, celluar one works good about 1/2 way around the north side..i don't have signal on norwiegion bay...my older virgin mobile would lose signal south of cook...good luck...fish relax pretend you thought your phone worked!!

Thats the best advice yet wink.gif

I just recently switched from Cellular One to Verizon (cell one is GSM) but both seemed to have about the same poor coverage on west end of the lake. I fish from Mocc. pt. to Wakemup bay and get minnimal coverage in open water areas, anything north (Wolf, Norwegian, Black bays) will probably not give you coverage.

I have sprint I tried the first on pike bay, and nothing. The same at the cabin. Could not even get the time with mine just said serching for service the whole time. My cell was worthless. My roaming did not even work.

Quote:

My cell was worthless.

Mine too. Isn't it great when that happens!

Hans

--

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."--Friedrich Nietzsche

I would say verizon is your best ticket to communicate. I can normally get enough service to call or send a text message anywhere on the lake. cell one is a close second IMO. As far as the other providers, well good luck.

Also your phone can affect your service too.

Get an external antenna and it will help alot.

I have Verizon coverage on my deck in Niles bay...not much from there to Cook...spotty on the Lake up to the Dam...my cingular blackberry works better...too bad, can still get office emails...where is that off button????

I appreciate the replys. For the most part, I would rather not have to answer a phone all week but it is always nice to have in case of emergency.

If I may be so bold to say: those who live on or near the lake likely want to have reliable cell coverage on Vermilion; those of us that only get to travel up on weekends and trips probably relish the opportunity to turn it off for a weekend.

They're horrible devices that we all seem not to be able to live without.