Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hankpete

Coming Back Home

19 posts in this topic

My wife Connie @ I have made plans to get back home to Tower @ Lake Vermilion in Aug. Four years ago we made it back for our 50th wedding anniversary but four years away is just too long.We now live in SC & our fishing is primarily for bass,crappie,catfish,flounder&red drum or spot tail.As a result I realize my tackle needs a good going over to get ready for walleyes.

Two things I would appreciate help on are line & sinkers.Last winter I believe it was Cliff who mentioned that he had tried Berkley crystal Fireline for ice fishing & planned to try it this summer. Any info on the performance of this type of line would be appreciated. Also, what weight sinkers are suggested for this small diameter line for Lindy rigs at say 15 & 30 ft.

One more request is for all people fishing in the Big Bay area practice catch & release of walleyes until Aug.13

Hank Petersen

I have used the fireline crystal this year in 6 lb test on my maglight rods...has been better than perfect for jigging or lindy rigging...I have put a couple of feet of mono on ahead of the jig or lindy just in case I hang up...love it!!!

I have heard stories of fireline crystal breaking at the knot. Anybody know anything about that?

power pro does from time to time. do not know about that though. power pro is great i use it for everything even crappie it works and will usually straiten most hooks if you snag up I have pulled in logs

I've not had anyone tell me about fireline breaking at the knot, I know you need to make sure you use a palomar or trilene knot otherwise the knot will come undone.

I hope you have a wonderful homecoming Hank. I know that a lot of people are purchasing the Power Pro line. Also a pretty good demand for the Cajun Red Line (You might have more success at getting the 6-8 lb line than I have the last few weeks).

Northland Tackle makes an interchangeable bottom bouncer with various sized weights that you can snap onto a clevis that is on your line so you can switch pretty quickly. Also there is nothing wrong with using bell sinkers and split shot as a modified lindy rig..you can remove the bell sinkers and replace with heavier ones as you need to get further down.

I hope you stop in the store (Vermilion Fuel and Food) when you are up in this neck of the woods.

I have used Power Pro with great results...just need to not be quite as agressive on the hook set since there is no streach in the line...

haven't had any knot problems...just old man missing the strike syndrome...

I have been using the Fireline Crystal all spring on my rods and it works great! I have been using the 8# line.

Add an 8# Cajun Red leader for Lindy Rigs and tie directly to the jig. I tie a medium size Quick Snap to the Crystal for making changing jigs easy. laugh.gif

Power Pro is also a great line!

I use sinkers that range from 3/8 oz. to 1 oz. on my lindys. It all depends on how deep you are fishing and how windy it is.

Cliff

Welcome back! I use fireline on all of my jigging and rigging rods...the new crystal is working great...using 8lb vanish for lindy leaders and 12 to 18" behind a small barrel swivel tied to my jigs! Enjoy and good luck!

phil...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Now I wish we could move our homecomming up to early July.

One thing more. I did not notice anyone stating they would be willing to catch & release walleyes until Aug. 13

Hank Petersen

Ill catch the walleyes and release them into my livewell grin.gif. Dont worry ill release a few eaters for you wink.gif

Thanks

Hank

Hank,

Not a chance of that happening! grin.gif

Cliff

Cliff

Come on. Give me a break.I will only be taking your fish for two weeks in Aug.

Hank

Hank - I'll be staying at the family cabin on Pike Bay from Aug. 13-17. Be on the lake from the 11th-19th, but someone else has our place "reserved" on the weekends, so I'll be at the farm in Embarrass on weekends. If you're interested, I'd be up for meeting a fellow FM'er, maybe do a little fishing with ya, too! cool.gif I wouldn't think that Cliff is going to leave a lot for us to catch, but then again, he doesn't know ALL of the spots... shocked.gif only 99.8% of them... grin.gif

Steve,

Hope I get to see you out on the water this time up!

Cliff

Cliff - I'll give you a call when it's closer to the time. See if I can sneak a hot spot or two out of you. laugh.gif I'll have my boat either tied to the dock or beached, so it'll be easy to tell if I'm there.

Definitely will let you know when I'm up, though!

slick

It would be nice to get together. My wife & I will be staying at a private cabin that was part of the former Westhaven Lodge resort.One word on fishing. If I go my wife goes or else I would be in big bad trouble.Also, if I want to be sure of catching enough walleyes for a big fish dinner she has to be along.

Hank

Never a problem for another person coming along, hankpete. And since I'll be staying up there for the week, hopefully I'll have a few productive spots figured out, and we can catch that dinner for you too! grin.gif

keep in touch here until the trip is closer, and we can figure something out. cool.gif