• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late Aug Trip.

Im guessing the eyes will be deep by then, northerns along steep drop rocks ledgs and weedlines near deeper water?

Ive been up in May and June mostly. One year we came up Labor day weekend and could only find fish in 30+fow. I would assume late Aug would be the same pattern.

Wade,

Most years late august you will find fish deep on the reefs, unless there is a really early cool down in water temps. I have been up around Labor day several times and usually take the first couple hours to drive around a milk-run of spots and graph them. Then go back and fish the ones that I see fish on, and always start with those that i saw fish suspended off the bottom of (usually active fish).

That time of year its either heavy lindy rigs or backtrolling 3-4oz. bottom bouncers and spinner rigs. Bait can be any one of the 3, leeches, crawlers and minnows, the fish will tell you what they want and, it may vary from spot to spot.

You may also want to consider heading over the portage and fishing the east end of Rainy that time of year, the fishing can be really awesome on the reefs.