Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Voyageur

Possession/Size Clarification

5 posts in this topic

Hello All:

About to leave for VNP in the AM - thought I would pick up a DNR reg book for reference to keep me 100% aware of the new regs.

Here's how I understood LAST YEARS regs to be on Namakan/Kabetogama/Sand Point - 6(or 4 I forget) walleye may be possessed between 13-17" with only one of those can be over 28". 17-28" must be released.

After reading this forum this Spring I understand THIS YEARS regs to be 4 walleye may be possessed (6 including 2 sauger) - all fish between 17-28" must be released - only one of the 4 may be over 28". Basically you can keep any fish under 17" to eat.... correct?

Ok, here's what it says in the 07-08 DNR reg book on the bottom of page 46.....

It EXACTLY reads:

Walleye and Sauger Possession Limit (Size) for Namakan, Sand Point, and Little Vermillion.

"6 (Not more than 4 can be walleye; walleye less than 17" or larger than 28" must be immediately released; only 1 walleye over 28.)"

Does that say what I think it does - and why?

Now on page 31 it says EXACTLY:

"Namakan Lake (St. Louis County) walleye: All from 17-28" must be immediately released. One over 28 allowed in possession. Possession limit four.

Ok, so is it safe to say the page 46 is INCORRECT?

Thanks for any help,

-Voyageur

Dang, I almost replied and said they said the same thing but then after rereading, I have the same question. The online version of the rule book does not read the same as you posted. The on line version does not have the words “walleye less than” on page 46 (which is the confusing part of the quote you used). I looked at the regs the other day to prepare for my trip up there next week and came away with the idea I could keep anything under 17 and one over 28. Hope this helps.

When I posted this I was 99% certain that I knew the regs, but I want to be 100% - so I thought I'd ask.

Why didn't they just word it like the regs for Rainy Lake at the top of page 47?

It reads exactly:

"8 (Not more than 4 can be walleye; walleye from 17" to 28" must be immediately released; only 1 walleye over 28".)"

Isn't that how the other VNP lakes should read(except 6 total fish)?

-Voyageur

You can rest assured that you are 100% correct. You can have 6 "silvery eyed" fish in your possession, but not more than 4 of them can be Walleye (i.e. 3 Walleye, 3 Sauger or 4 Walleye, 2 Sauger). You can keep any Walleye under 17". You can keep any size Sauger. Forget about the one Walleye over 28" rule. If you catch anything over 28" you should be releasing it anyhow. If you think it's big enough to mount, take a picture and make a replica!

Hockey guy is right on. 6 fish limit only four can be walleyes and 17"-28" walleyes are protected. There was a misprint in the reg book but the slot limit is being strictly enforced. You can keep one over 28" but that would be about an 8lber, so why not measure length, girth, take a picture and let her go. In any case have fun.

-duckster