Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrosLit31

Osakis Tournament and Weather?

22 posts in this topic

Just looking at the weather report for this weekend. And it has Isolated T-storm for Sat. and Scattered T-storms for Sunday. Just wondering what happens with the walleye tournament if it is lightning out? I would assume that this has happened in the past?

If you see lightning you can beach until it's passes. We've never had to leave the lake during the tourney in the 18 or so years I've fished it. There wasn't anything that happened this weekend either, other than yesterday the rollers on the lake were probably as big or bigger than we've ever seen them. There were some that may have been in that 4-5' swell range, most of them were 3 footers. She was rough!

So who won, how many and what weight ? And what method did they use ?

I was sitting in town bay yesterday afternoon working over some decent northerns when all the tourney boats came into the launch area. Was pretty cool to see.

I can't say they're names, one of them is on this forum at least occasionally. They won it two years ago as well. They kicked our butts again this year. They had 30 lbs. & some ounces. Second was 25 lbs. something & on down. We were 9th with 17.65 lbs., so there were some pretty good breaks between most of the spots. Plenty of zeros as always.

We thought they were a couple of tough fishing days. Most of our spots had been going for nearly two weeks before the tourney, including through Friday. The weather changed late afternoon on Friday. It didn't affect everybody obviously, but it did a lot of the guys. Some of our spots shut off completely, some just slowed down. A few spots we didn't fish went crazy on Saturday from mid morning on & then were completely dead on Sunday. You never know what you're going to get with a tourney which makes it fun & frustrating at the same time.

There were two 7.5 pounders caught on Saturday & a 6.9 on Sunday, those are some dandy fish for Osakis.

Rodd, Congrats on 9th place. We fished the tournament for our second year now. and we blanked on Sat. and didnt even get a walleye unitl 2:00pm but they were too small. Lots of pike and big dog fish. We did really good pre-fishing thursday and friday and the previous weekend but with the lake going dead calm our spots shutdown. We managed 3 keeper fish on Sunday but didnt even go into weigh-in with our boat because of the waves.

I guess there is always next year... grin.gif

Thanks Adam, I wonder if we've ever talked & just don't know it? We'll have to try to make aquaintances some time when you're up for the tourney or at your cabin.

It was probably good that our prefishing wasn't good. I think we figured out were they weren't (deep) Thur & Fri so during tourney we just fished spots that we only touched in pre fishing(shallow.)Fortunatley it only took a couple of passes to catch a keeper on our 1st spot. We finished 2nd and are pretty sure we saw where #1 & #3 caught fish(shallow).

Eyewarrior

Bigbucks, what is your name, I'm from LP, was just wondering. Do you know how Hansen and Wall did? I know they were 6th after day one. I won the big lions club on Charlotte on saturdya, haha, not quite the same as the osakis lions club tourney...

Yeah Rodd i dont know if we talked or not. Talked to a few other boats but not everyone. We were boat 71, a couple younger guys in a 16.5ft alumicraft. It would be nice to meet up some time or next year for pre-fishing. Wont be back up until July sometime. Here is my E-mail address.

adam_mahowald@hotmail.com

It's on everyone of my posts, unless you mean my last name...

Let's just say it's long, starts with a G, & is quite Swedish...

I believe they finished 14th, they zeroed on Sunday. I don't know those guys, but know people who do, I think my Dad maybe even knows them. I saw them get their check, so at least I know what they look like now.

What's your name rangerforme?

I here you, most of our spots were too, unfortunately we were on about spot #4 before we took good ones both days & we couldn't get more than a fish or two on any of them. The first 3 weren't the same both days either.

Are your R or N from your team? I think we may have talked to you guys prefishing one time on one of the humps on the South end about 5 years ago, maybe more. I don't know that I've ever talked to you guys, if it was you, since then. Do you guys always fish the Green Lake tourney too? I'm assuming from Wilmar that you do. I've never fished that, basically just fish the Osakis tourney, that's about all the work & family schedule allows for.

I'm the N of the team. We always fish Green(home lake you know) We bombed the last 2 years finishing in the last place to cash a check both years.

Funny after Fri we were discussing if we should continue to fish the Osakis tourney any more. The last few years we would manage to only get our entry fee back or a little more. I think we might have to continue now grin.gif

eyewarrior

I'm sure it's more costly for you guys. I would imagine you've got some hotel stays or you're spending a lot of time & gas driving back & forth. As much as I enjoy this tourney it still takes a lot of flexibility for family & other fishing out of our June schedule, but at least we're sleeping at home. We were feeling really good after prefishing & still can't complain, but had hoped to do better. The last two years spoiled us a bit I suppose. Congrats on second place.

When is the tournament on Osakis? Will be up in the area on the weekend of the 23 & 24 of June and looking for some areas that will not have tournies on. Probably lakes like Reno, and Andrew we might try if it is not to windy. shocked.gif

It was & always is, Father's Day weekend.

hey bigbucks it took me two years to figure out who you were but now i know who to follow around next year pre fishing good job in the tourny.

Hey no fair, I don't know who you are. Prefishing, what's that?

How did you guys do?

we caught way to many short fish and too many doggys and not enough 16's we ended up a little out of the money. also whats pre fishing? its when that larson is running around from spot to spot ripping lips then leaving in a hurry only to get to another.

You forgot to answer my other question...

what ? you refering to? have you been out there since 6-16 6-17 i was out sat but it was the same results small!

I wasn't in the tournament just an observer but small seems to be the word on Osakis this year. I've caught probably 60 fish 13-14.75 this year. Only 4 over 15 and none of them were over 16.

Pretty hard to figure out. Fishing deep, fishing shallow, fishing humps, fishing weeds, fishing bars and reefs I get the same size fish.

Weird.

3 times I think since then. 1 15"er a few short ones & a bunch of smaller northerns. They were all pretty short outings (1-2 hours).