• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tackle box stolen- estimate the value

deadminnowcatcher

My tackle box was stolen out of my garage last night- It was one of the largest tackle boxs you can get- full of crank baits, jigs, hooks line etc. etc. Anyone ever lose a tackle box like this? How much cash did it take to replace it? Waiting for a call bck from the insurance company

One of my big fears...

I go through mine every year and estimate the value for insurance. I run between 1200 and 1500 every year. It is much easier to get money from insurance if you carry and inventory of your box. Good Luck! I hope this helps...

Is this covered under personal property insurance?

My wife had her small tackle box stolen two years ago. I didn't even turn it in for it probably didn't pay...but then she filled her new tackle box with lures from mine!

I can't help you with this now. I read your story and suddenly became pale and weak. I'm sorry this happened to you.

How is the insurance agent to deal with Ive always wondered if they can be real stingy on things like this. Hope it goes good for ya and you didnt have anything that they do not make anymore.

I had a box stolen, and a vexlar, I had a $500 deductable, had to give the insurance company a copy of the police report. No hassle at all, estimated my loss my self, and had a check in the mail in a week.

I think as long as it is a resonable estimate they aren't going to fight to much with you on it. For the amount of money its probably not worth their time. But if you claimed it was worth $5000 they might ask for some proof.

For insurance purposes its a good idea for most of us to keep a list of all fishing equipment and the price paid for it. Keep it in a safe spot, by this I mean somewhere where the wife will not find it. She doesn't need to know how much we all spend does she?

I was told by my agent to just take an annual picture of my tackle boxes contents, and updated value along with it.

i had one taken out of my truck when in high school. having not learned my lesson i left my stuff in my bronco three years later. this time they took the whole truck frown.gif

both times i was asked to make a list of what was inside. i remeber getting around $1000-$1200 both times. it would be more now as lure prices have gone up quite a bit since 95'.

side note: my first box was a plano over under with a couple of stickers on it. a couple of months after it was stolen, i saw a kid fishing with a very similar box. my blood started to boil as i approached him. he had the same in fisherman sticker, but the other one was different. i was kinda dissapointed that i didn't get to yell at this kid for stealing my tackle box cool.gif

Sorry to hear about your gear. I know from experiance that Cabelas and Reeds will help you get a price list together. Give them a list of what you lost and they will get you a price list. Talk to Jeff at Reeds. He helped me out when I had a bunch of hunting gear stolen. He replaced everything for me at his cost and shipped it to me. He told me he likes to help people out due to Insurance deductables and depreciation.

Hope this helps.

Todd

the bad thing is that I cannot just go to one place and replace everything. It will take years to acumalate everything that I had in the box. And some things they no longer make

Quote:

a couple of months after it was stolen, i saw a kid fishing with a very similar box. my blood started to boil as i approached him. he had the same in fisherman sticker, but the other one was different. i was kinda dissapointed that i didn't get to yell at this kid for stealing my tackle box
cool.gif

Yeah, be careful with that. I remember fishing off a public dock once and a guy was asking me about my box. Turns out his box had been stolen from his truck not too far from where I was fishing. We had the same model Plano and he insisted it was his. I had received the box years ago as a birthday gift. I was pretty scared that he was gonna make a move on me and try and swipe it. Even after examining the contents of the box he thought it was his. Maybe he would have tried something if there weren't other people around.

****This was when I was a kid*****

When I was younger I was got ready and loaded the truck the night before to save time... Truck was broken into and I lost some rods and a tackle box. I was out about 3 grand... But I learned a few lessons.. and the best one is this...

Tonight... all of you... Get your camera out and take a picture of your tackle box open. And all your rods.. this way if you are to run into a rude person! You have photo proof to the insureance. I was lucky, my insurance dude knew I was a tourny angler, no questions asked and had a check out pretty quick.

Sorry to hear about your box, really peeves me when people just take things. As part of my spring cleaning every year between ice and soft water I take my box apart. I take an inventory of the number of each bait and model, check hook sharpness ect write it down, polish spoons and spinnerblades, sharpen hooks and the most important part decide how many baits and colors I will need to stock up on to bring the arsenal back to a satisfactory level. It is time consuming but I figure at that time of year I'm just waiting to get out anyways. Besides then it spurs me to make a trip to Gander to get the necessary lures I need! Right now my box as it sits has 2600.00 in it so don't be surprised if yours is up there as well. Another thing I did was I took out a 20 dollar a year rider on my homeowners policy just for my tackle and rods/reels just for this case. Sorry to hear of your loss!

Tunrevir~

I'm one of those guys who basically carries their whole fishing life in their tackle box and I've got a nice collection of some insane expensive lures, so that can easily put my tackle box up their over $4000. Some lures have only seen the water once. But I always carry a variety of colors or duplicates of the same one for backups. If I'm really good and very discipline, I would only select a few lures and put that in little storage box for a fishing trip only. Then again, if I wanted to switch and target another species, I couldn't. But I'll never do what an aquiantance of mine did, fish for crappies with catfish gear. Their you go, 30 lb steel leaders, 20+ lbs line...LOL's...Bite that crappie! Bite, bite, bite.

But I've recently split my tackle box into several smaller packages. Less weight and if I should lose it/gets stolen I won't lose everything all at once.

I am thinking that i had 3-4 grand in the box. I wont know till i start putting things in the box. Hoping insurance is ok with that. still waiting for adjuster to call me confused.gif

Wow, I have one of the largest tackle boxes they make...and it is full of lures.

I will be lucky if I have $500 invested in it....

I have an album in Photobucket called "insurance", hope I never need it. If the insurance agent ever says "Do you really have 30 rods/reels" I can say YES! I have detailed photos, of tackle boxes open, boxes from all the reels.

Good way to really self assess your inventory as well.

Chris

023_23.jpg

Quote:

I have an album in Photobucket called "insurance", hope I never need it. If the insurance agent ever says "Do you really have 30 rods/reels" I can say YES! I have detailed photos, of tackle boxes open, boxes from all the reels.

And what's your address??? blush.gif

Just kidding, too many Abus for my taste tongue.gif

I need to show that photo to my fiancee, though, so she understands that I am not crazy!!!

Quote:

I need to show that photo to my fiancee, though, so she understands that I am not crazy!!!

Yeah, I just had my wife look at that photo. I hear that "don't you have enough rods and reels" from her all the time. I tell her there's no such thing as too many rods and reels. smile.gif

And what happens if they steal your tackle...and your computer?? confused.giftongue.gif

That's why he's got the photos hosted online!!!

I generally back up my photos to CD in case my hard drive crashes. I then keep one CD at home and one somewhere else--just in case of fire. Anal, yes, but I'd hate to lose all my photos!!!