• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cleaning fish in the House

swedishpimple

For years I have always cleaned my fish by the kitchen sink. Last year I got married....apparently I am no longer going to be allowed to do this.

I like to do it in the house because it is warm in the winter and bug free in the summer. Not to mention having water there. If you keep your fish cool and clean them right away there is no stink or anything.

How many of you guys clean your fish in the house??

I am a garage guy. I tried years ago, but wife has a fit with the smell.

Then she would even complain when I deep fry, stinks the house up.

I set up my board on the counter right next to the kitchen sink. My Mrs doesn't mind at all. Or, if she does mind, she doesn't say anything. grin.gif

as my counters are to low i do them right at the kitchen table. and my cats never argue with me for doing it either. ... paul

I purchased a plastic type board that fits the top of my chest freezer in the garage and it works well and my wife is just fine with the garage.

My wife has a fit too. I have a sink in the basement and I do it there. I don't understand the objection. It's food after all.

Bob

It's been 5 years since I cleaned a fish in the house... It has also been 5 years since I fished everyday of the week...

"And that is all I have to say about that." grin.gif

I'm a kitchen dude. I lay down a whole lot of newspaper and lay the fish right next to the sink. After I'm done, guts go in the freezer and the meat in my bellie.

I clean fish in the house...unless I have a better spot outside (less cleanup).

In the winter, they are all cleaned in the house.

My wife, who doesn't eat fish, knows this is one of the things I do and has never complained.

I also gut ducks in the house. This smell is worse, but she lives with it. Just like she has to live with me wink.gif

The best advice I have ever received was from my 9th grade civics teacher. He always said if there was a problem or situation you didn't want to deal with just ignore it, and it will go away! grin.gif

Its been working pretty good so far!! grin.gifblush.gifwink.gif

I'm a kitchen guy too. The only complaints I get is when she finds crappie scales on the cabinets 3 days later. She hasn't seen me clean an eelpout yet, I'm guessing that won't be her favorite thing to watch.

I clean all my walleyes, crappies, sunnies and trout in the kitchen next to the sink. Just got married last year and I was wondering how that would go over. I always make sure there aren't any stray scales left afterwards, so far so good. Same thing with venison, as long as the blood gets wiped up there aren't any complaints.

The two things I do make sure to do in the garage are northerns and ducks/geese. Both wind up being pretty messy for me and I figure why push the envelope.

Right by the sink for me.....She get's a little fisty with the scales all over....oh well. She's gotta ride me for something grin.gif

I'm also banished to the garage. On the plus side, "The Bride" digs right in and helps me. Does a darn good job too! laugh.gif

my wife doesnt care where I clean fish as long as i cleanup and her mom gets a filete. All i got ta do now is teach my daughter to clean up after me and Im good to go.

Looks my my wife might be out of line here...but I will be reduced to a garage guy too I guess. Until I build a fish and game/cleaning room.

I had this idea to build one and then found exactly what I was going to build at a garage sale. You tak an old ironing board and put formica on it. Then I put the tail older on it and clean on that. Even has a bar that comes out the end to hang a bucket from. Best part is adjustabl height so I can sit to clean. I use it if I have a lot but if it's just a couple I do them by the sink.

Ditto with the ironing board! It is slick - and when you put it all the way up, it is a perfect height for us taller guys.

Works well to throw in the truck for cleaning fish at a campground, boat launch, or any other place that doesn't have a fish cleaning station.

My garage is heated - so the garage works well in the winter too!

I use a 55 gal plastic barrel with a 30"x60" board on it in the yard,garden hose, guts across the road,scales a couple inches deep get cleaned up once a year,if the bugs are bad the ole girl suggests inside,but I dont like cleaning the kitchen,when I do it inside its LOTA of newspapers!

Fish cleaning borad on the counter, table or center island of the kitchen whereever there is space, water and freezer is close and carcasses get thrown out the back window on to our hillside for the animials to clean up. No smell, no mess, or at least that I notice.... grin.gif

My fiance and I are currently living in my Bachelor Shack of a house... As such my indoor fish cleaning has sort of been Grandfathered into the kitchen...

However I keep recieveing hints that "Once we move into The Real House." I'll have to have Mud room in the basement somewhere to clean them at.

lol wait until your wives find out the iron board is missing and discovers it out in the yard covered in scales lmao grin.gifshocked.gif

My wife is fillipino, and only wants the guts pulled, leave eye balls, gills, you name it. then baked whole. It takes 3-5 minuites for any limit I bring home. Except pannies. Scales left on, done in sink, lets eat.

I'm a kitchen guy,at least for the fish caught on the last day where ever I'm at, otherwise there's just something I like about cleaning fish at the lake. grin.gif

I do mine in the laundry room. Board on top of the washer and bag for guts in the laundry tub. Warm in the winter, air conditioned in the summer. Lots of newspaper under the board limits the cleanup. When I'm done I use the newspaper to wrap around gut bag to keep fins and such from poking through. Then into a garbage bag and into the freezer until garbage day. No complaints from the wife yet. But then she loves fish, and probably goes the extra yard when it comes to getting them to the table.

Garage for me.... Man i dont even have a wife........those darn mothers. i guess i have to wait to get my own house.

i clean them on the bar. I put down some newspaper and my Pampered chef cutting board and cut em up. Fillets into a bowl of cold water, roll up the paper and the mess goes into the garbage.

clean them in the house, and the best thing is the wife she helps smile.gif, shes great!!