• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another first timer - same requsts

Like many others, I am making my first trip to Rainy next Wed thru Sat and staying on a houseboat out of Rainy Lake Houseboats. (Heck of a way to spend an 15th wedding anniversary - no kids, houseboat, and Rainy Lake.) I'm looking for some general info on fishing the lake. I've been reading the posts for the last couple weeks and still have a few questions. I plan on staying on the MN side and fishing walleyes primarily but spending a little time chasing smallies and northerns.

My questions are:

1. Without having to spend too many hours traveling, what areas/bays or structure types should I expect to be most productive? (I don't have a decent map yet, but will before I get there.)

2. Any special walleye tackle I "must have"?

3. I've never chased smallies before. I've always heard plastics but when I went to the store I was stunned at the number of choices. Can someone help narrow it down? Are plastics the best option (style, size, color)?

4. Best options for northerns?

Any help is much appreciated. We can't wait to get there. Time has been standing still since I booked it!

Hi Hoyter,

Welcome to Rainy Lake! Careful as your likely to get hooked! Cranberry, Lost bay, Black Bay are all good choices to start looking for fish. Walleye tackle as always a nice selection of jigs especially some tri-colored configurations in a variety of weights do deal with the changing winds. Spinner rigs, raps, and some slip bobber rigs will also come in handy. Lots of ways to catch Smallies, and everyone seems to have there personal favorite. A 4 inch pumpkinseed twister will bring is some fish as well as land you an occassional eye by accident. Floating raps tend to be a pretty universal method and will be effective for most everything. Bigger pike will be suspended over some deeper water now, with the majority of fish up shallow being snakes. Hope the info is a starting point for you. Most important bring your digital camera as you never know on trips up here when you will see a moose, bear, tropy fish... Arguably the most beautiful underfished fishery in the state bar none. I know I've read a few posts on pressure, but the pressure Rainy is receiving is very minimal compared to most of the big 6 lakes! Have a great fishing trip!