• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It got away.

harvey lee

Myself and a couple of friends spent the last two days with Jonny P on Red. My goal was to hook up with a trophy northern and catch a few eyes and crappies.

Day 1 we headed out to a eye spot and the winds were not in our favor. We fished that spot along with a few others and picked up our slot limit and quite a few others along with some nice crappies. We then headed into Westwinds for a fish fry. After lunch, we headed out to find my trophy pike that I'm sure was swimming in this great fish factory. We did battle with the high seas and finally hooked up with a nice 38 incher that my buddy caught. We fought the winds for a little longer and the weather was not in our favor for these trophy pike.

Day 2 started out better than the day before with many nice eyes caught to fill the limit. We found many slot fish and releashed many others for a great first two hours of the day. Now, my time was to begin looking for my trophy northern that has never found my hook. We trolled for awhile and within the first 10 minutes I picked up two smaller northerns with the bigger going approx 25 inches, approx one half of the fish I have been looking for. We trolled for another hour plus without a hit. Jonny then said we were going to check out another spot and cast for some. On about my tenth cast, bam,set hook and game on until the fish was gone unbuttoned. We worked for approx another 10-15 minutes and I had the hit of my life and really set the hook on this fish, I started reeling in and knew that I had a very good fish on so I give that baby another good hook set. The fish was near the boat and went deep and towards the back of the boat doubling over Jonny's MH musky rod. I made the mistake of letting my rod lower as the fish was going towards the back of the boat and feared he would get hung up in the motor. When I dropped my rod a little ways, the hook unbuttonned from my fish I have always wanted.

Jonny, I cannot thank you enough for a great two days of fishing and for putting me on the fish I have been looking for, for many years. You put us on some very good fishing when other fisherman were not having very good days with this wind.

I would suggest that anyone who is looking for a great time on Upper Red to give Jonny P of Outdoors with Jonny P a call and he will show you what this lake is all about.

Once again Jonny, Thanks for a great two days. We will be up this winter for sure.

http://www.outdoorswithjonnyp.com/

I would also like to thank the gang at the Drake motel as they do make you feel at home and I dont believe you could find a cleaner motel room anywhere around.

http://drakemotel.com/

Thats pike fishing Tom, it only takes one false move with these big pike before they smile and swim away. Although I would have to bet that pike is still upset from butt chewing you gave it. grin.gif

Looks like you guys forgot to take the wind back home with you, today we once again have heavy winds. Red lake pike like the water clear and warm to really get agressive. I beleive we are into the 33 day of pike season and 26 of those days have brought us heavy winds stirring up the lake. Red lake currently is not red in color; more of a gray from all the silt in the water not to mention we are about a month behind in water temps. Three good calm days with warm temps and the pike are gonna go bonkers.

I guess I will just need to make another Red lake run to hook up with one of those trophy northerns. I had my heart set on catching one of the big ones and I guess I did have the chance to do somewhat of a battle with that bruiser. Maybe next time I will not make the mistake again on another nice one.

Who is this Jonny P guy? It sounds like he knows how to catch fish. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Seriously though, I have got to get my arse up there already. As soon as I can get some time off from work we are coming up there.

What a great fishing story...yep Jonny P. knows how too catch big pike!!!!!!!!!!!! I have one on my wall from him and the waskish minnow station and a ice fishing rod that should stand up too kelly and jonnys style of fishing...... Troy Pike