Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Branching Out… (3 pics)

7 posts in this topic

It’s that time of year again. The time when the water temp starts to heat up. The time when the panfish spawn is over (almost) and the pannies spread out over open water making them harder to find in quantities. The time when the sucker run is completely over in this part of the state. Walleye, Bass, Musky, Pike, and Trout seasons are in full swing.

Summer Time…

Over the past few weeks I’ve given my panfish rods a break in action and dusted off a few of the others that have not seen water yet. I guess I’m not one of those guys that gets stuck in the rut of fishing for only a few species of fish. I find that if I diversify my fishing, there’s always a time where any given species of fish is in its peak catchable period.

In the past week I’ve made two evening trips with only my catfishing gear. One successful, and 1 not so much. I’m fairly new to the sport of catfishing (branching out), but each time out I refine a few tactics and the detailed mental notes increase chances at success.

ty_cat3.jpg

I’ve honestly never spent a ton of time on Lake Pepin searching for those elusive walleyes and saugers, but we gave it a go on Saturday (branching out). We did the follow the crowd thing for awhile, then decided to go and try something completely different and new.

ty_sauger1.jpg

Last year was the first season I have given largemouth bass fishing an honest effort. Today marked my first trip of the year seeking bucket mouths (branching out). At first it was discouraging. The bass and pike were no where to be found, but I’m certain there were panfish everywhere. If I would have brought my panfish gear, the bassin stuff would have been shelfed…But I didn’t…

ty_largie1.jpg

I know I didn’t provide a lot of detailed information in this post and that was my intent. I’m moreso trying to point out some additional resources we have in our area.

Grab one of those rods you have not used in a long while… Give it the once over and commit some time to trying a new species of fish. Musky and Catfish are on my list for this season. What’s on your?

Walleyes are on my list of things to do! Funny that I live in a "walleye loved" state and never even caught one before.

Never caught one before?!?!?! That's gotta be a joke, my 2 1/2 yr. old daughter has caught and reeled in a walleye in her short span of fishing.

Quote:

Funny that I live in a "walleye loved" state and never even caught one before.

you oughtta be ashamed grin.gif

well then, I shall restate what I said...I have never targeted/caught a walleye. Ive been fishing for a long time now, just have never went out looking for the ol google eye laugh.gif

Quote:

well then, I shall restate what I said...I have never targeted/caught a walleye. Ive been fishing for a long time now, just have never went out looking for the ol google eye
laugh.gif

Wow…I don’t think I can fish with you anymore. Never caught a walleye? How do you sleep at night?

MY POINT!! I CANT SLEEP AT NIGHT frown.gif

J/K hahah laugh.gif