• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I question why you would think that ice shacks are different? They are on public waters, so if what you say is so important, why should it be okay for someone to park a ice shack over over a crappie hole and not expect somebody else to use it if they were there before you. I know that I would have an issue with that and it sounds as though you would too.

Obviously this could be debated for days and months, but I have a thought. Just because a person may HAVE THE right to do something doesn't always mean it IS THE right thing to do. Just my thought.

Well said Chris cool.gif I didn't think this thread was going to get this heated. Everyone knows public means it is for the public. I'm not here to bash or give the sport a bad name so this will be my last post on this thread due to getting out of hand. Scifisher, If you want to duck hunt out there, there is alot of room and more than enough people that would let you use the blinds if you want. It is a good area to hunt if you get away from people and most are very decent people out there. If you ever want to hunt give me a holler and we can get you set up.

Jar Jar

Thanks, Jar Jar, I may take you up on the offer this fall. I haven't had a chance to hunt SLB yet. My kids were too little and the wife wasn't willing to be a hunting widow with a couple of toddlers.

Thanks for the discussion guys. There's lots of good opinions here. Hope everyone walks away friends...

I don't mind being picked on, this is a forum, but I need to expand on my 1/8 miles suggestion.

Several years ago I lived in central MN and hunted public land. I scouted out an area that I wanted to put my portable in and did not see sign of anybody in the area. On the fourth day of season I was walking to my portable after work and was not aware of a deer that was paralleling me into the woods. Somebody shot that deer from a stand less than 150 yards from my stand and from a point about 200 yards from where I was walking. The guy felt terrible, as I would have if I were in his shoes. Of course I was PO'd to start with, but got over it. Neither of us could have known we were there. I did quit hunting public land until I started hunting the public land adjacent to our property. So what I am getting at is that if you know there is private property and there is people on it, why risk the worse by following a boundry line. 660' is a little over 200 yards and I just feel that that is a safe distance in our type of thick woods. I know that our property ends on that line, but for safety reasons I just think it would be wise to drive a couple tenths of a mile up the road before entering the woods.

Im good with everything everyone has said, Tom included, and I may give him the phone call he asks for, not for permission, just to let him know Im there. Only guy thats gonna have real issues with me is the large man in the white boat if we ever meet again.

I quit hunting public lands for a lot of the reasons previously discussed ,,,I just refuse to deal with the mentality of say the 2% of those who hunt public land

As far as fishing in an unoccupied ice house ,,,well its licenced as is a boat tied to a dock or on the water ,,,would you want some one jumping in your boat just because its on public water???

Randoid