Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sparetime

Questions on fall trip to the gunflint trail

6 posts in this topic

I am planning to book a long weekend trip to the Gunflint Trail for this Sept. Either the 4th Weekend or the 5th Weekend. Would like to hunt some grouse and catch a few fish. Wife and kids will be coming along also.

Any suggestions? Is one weekend better than the other? Are there any grouse areas left (I am researching the fire affected areas). Any lake you would suggest over another?

As far as fish species go, I'm normally a walley fisherman, but wouldn't mind trying to land a laker.

Need to get a cabin booked, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Sparetime

( Note from Admin,Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank-You.)

It may have sounded like I was asking for a recommendation on a place to stay, which I'm not. I can get ahold of the link here to find a place.

Mostly curious if there is a fall lake that would be worth trying. Is the fishing good in September off the Gunflint?

I stop guiding after turnover. I don't do this because the fishing is bad, I do it because it's my time to fish. Fall fishing on the trail is my favorite thing to do. (Now that I'm 50 shocked.gif)

Gunflint, sounds like a good time to be up there. We are staying on Loon Lake.

Any tackle suggestions for that time of year. Probably will spend some time trying to get a laker in the boat. If I start now with small purchases the accounting department will not notice. One big trip to the outdoor store and I'll catch grief for sure.