• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone else having trouble with lowrance units post update?

mamohr686

Question

Between my dad and I we have 3 lowance gps/sonar combo units all on different boats. 2 are X-15MT and 1 is a LMS-332C. This spring we did all the updates and all the units have the same problem reading depth in weedlines. Before our units would read great even at wide open. Now whenever we are in any kind of shallow soft bottom 9 to 2ft of water, the sonar depth will blink and the screen will stop progressing (before when the sonar would momentarily lose signal the screen would keep moving). I've literally tried every single sonar setting to help with the problem from ping speed to sensitivity and even gray scale etc. I think this new update might make me lose a lower unit on my outboard. When I'm comming up in the shallows I frequently lose my depth, and almost as annoying I don't know the depth to get an idea if I can safely get on plane. On hard rock bottom the problem isn't nearly as bad but, any weedy cabbage or submerged vegitation and I have to resort to a flasher. Any way to go back to the earlier update, or fix this problem? I really hate to sit on hold for 3 hours to talk to a human at lowance.

• Answers 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• sparkyaber

• iffwalleyes

• mamohr686

• Valv

I had the same problem last night. I have a new LCX-27c model and experienced the sonar display flashing continuously. I have been on Lake Superior 3 times, the St. Louis River 3 times without any problem. Last night it was constant. I've been looking in the manual and it states: [Place the unit in the manual mode, then change the range to a realistic one, (for example, 0-100 feet) and increase the sensitivity. As you move into shallower water, a bottom signal should appear.] I will be trying that this evening, same lake, will see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes.

I gave up trying to get my X91 to read in less then 10 FOW. When in shallow water the only thing I use it for is water temp. I have a flasher for shallow water and use it 90% of the time. I use a I-Finder for trolling speed so you could say that my Lowrance graph is only good for water temp and a spendy one at that.

Haven't had any problem with my units since the updates. I don't even think the software update does anything to the sonar functions of the units, especially since you can't update sonars - only gps - but I don't know that for sure. Good luck getting it solved.

I have been having a similar problem with the cheaper X-51 (non-GPS model) at high speeds. I did a google on Lowrance products and it suggested checking the transducer (making sure it is clear and try adjusting the angle that it is mounted). I haven't fiddled with mine yet so I don't know if it will work. It also mentioned the height in which it is mounted and closeness to the motor and electrical can have some effect, but if yours was working fine before that shouldn't be the case (one would assume confused.gif). Good luck.

I updated my LCX-25C a month ago and, yes, I now lose depth readings on really steep breaklines and in shallow weeds while the boat is moving over 2mph. mad.gif

I really like some of the additional upgrades with the new software, and some stuff I can't figure out. But, that sonar issue stinks.

I updated by lcx25c as well and encountered the problem. I found some guys on another forum having the same problem. One guy got Lowrance to send him a previous version and it fixed his problem. I had him email me the version, installed it and now my unit is much much better in shallow water. There are still instances where I lose depth but it works 95% with no problem. If anybody is interested in the version 1.6(1.7 is the version causing problems) for their 25 let me know and I can send it on to you. I believe it works on the 26 as well.

I am having the same problems on the LCX-27c. If I'm in 10 feet or less and weedy, all it does is blink. I tried turning all motors and electronics off, no better. I had no weeds on my transducer, and the angle was fine. In deeper water, I am getting great readings. Very frustrating. If anyone comes up with a solution, please let me know!!!

Had problems with a 102C. Wouldn't read at speeds over 6mpr. Sent the unit in and Lowrance sent a new unit (was under warranty). Everything worked great until 9 months later the thing stops reading at higher speeds (25mpr) and would lock into a fixed depth. Lowrance sent a new transducer and once again it works great. I would recommend contacting Lowrance and try to get a new replacement.

The wierd part is everything was fine before the updates. All 3 units had no problems in any weeds or shallow water, there is no way that 3 transducers or units went bad at the same time. It has to be a glitch in the new program.

Updates are intended to fix a problem that you're having with your unit. Generally Lowrance will say to not update unless you're having an issue with your unit not working properly. Several updates are changing the inner-workings of some of the units and will force you to re-adjust several things. I would reccommend not updating your unit if you are already happy with how it performs...

my lowrance with the internal gps it will pick up and lose signal and they said that was the biggest problm with the last year modles I've tried to call lowrance and it takes for ever to talk to someone I waited for ten min and just hung up I'm not really happy with the unit so far.

I have the same problem with my 37 -- but at least it works. If you read other posts I was having a lot of trouble with my 27 and I recently returned it and now it works, but not over shallow weeds.

We pay too much to have these issues.

I found out lastweek that when my 334c is stuck on gps mode only you have to turn it off and push the power, zoom in, and out at the same time to reset the unit. When this happens you can not switch back and forth between pages. I was very upset until I called Reeds and the guy at the store said it was a very common problem, but the good news is that it is a easy fix.

Now that I have had a chance to get on the water over the weekend and the weeds have really grown...now I don't get any readings under 20' of water with weed growth. The screen blinks as it indicates errors. confused.gif

A friend joined me in the boat over the weekend and he told me his new LCX-112C does the same thing.

I have heard from other's that if I download the older software back into the sonar this issue will go away.

I also have the same problem with my 332c after downloading the 1.8 update. Does anyone have a 1.6 version for the 332c

that they can email me?? if not i will contact Lowrance

[email protected]

I have a LCX-17 and I had trouble reading the bottom on Lake Superior over about 90 ft. Got a different head unit and it worked great again till i was out over 90 ft. Decided to hook it up to my Minn-Kota with built in transducer and it worked great. So I bought a new transducer and walla it worked great. One thing I heard was the there was several problems with the dual frequency transducers. I kinda believe it because I could not find one in Duluth. So I bought a 200 KHZ single frequency and it is working great. I still get a little confused with the adv/dis-advantages to the dual but hopefully the single will be just fine for me.

I updated my lcx-25c along with my neighbors, another neighbors eagle equivalent to the lms 332, and 2 friends that have lms-332's. All of us are having the same problem as stated above. I though I was doing them a favor, and now I have to fix them all. If any one can get me the previous versions for these units please do.

My e-mail is: [email protected]

What a great site this is, I never would have heard about this other wise, and had 4 guys upset with me. Thanks.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You can find all versions at LOWRANCES site.

Thanks tgff009 I will download it immediately, and load it into the unit. I am going out on the lake tommorrow and will post how it goes.

Thanks again for taking the time to do that.

Surface Tension, I went to lowrance's web site and all they have available is the newest versions of all of the software. Is there a place that I am missing to download a previous version?

Tim, software is loaded and waiting for the trial run, I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again, it was a great help. If I get ahold of the previous version for the 332, I will let everone know.

Yep, made a huge difference going back to the old software version. I also changed the setting on the sonar mode to "shallow water" worked wonders then. I am still waiting on a response from lowrance about the version for the 332.

glad the downgrade worked for you.

BTW - what is the "shallow water" mode you referenced?

If you select "sonar features" after hitting "menu" when the sonar is you active page, the first option is "sonar presets". It offers different settings for different situations. Hope this helps you out.

Abe

Ya well I now have two units screwed up. Exactly what everyone was saying in weeds they are constantly going in and out. I had version 1.4 on my LCX 20 last year and this spring 1.7 on my 332. Now that they are both on 1.8 I have problems. The updates were to help with networking which is how they are set up so I thought it was a good thing but now I am regreating it. So I guess I will need to contact lowrance to see if I can get the old version because with the new version it is almost worthless. I would swear I had a bad transducer.

Anyone heard from lowrance on the older versions of software? I sent them an email a few days back and have not heard anything as of yet. I really need to get ahold of the previous version for the lms-332.

There is no point to emailing Lowrance as you will never hear from them. There customer service leaves much to be desired. After being on hold with them today for 34 minutes I finally got to talk to someone. Only to be told that I would have to talk to a senior tech. So then I was on hold for another 19 minutes and finally I got help total call time 56 minutes. So then I tell the guy what is going on and he claims he has never heard of it. I told him I wanted old version of the software he said no problem. So he emailed me copies I will reload them this weekend and see if I am back to normal. At least now I have a email for a tech at lowrance so I can go that route rather than being on hold. That is still the fastest way to get ahold of them and get answers is to get on hold and wait. They might as well not even have a email because for as many emails I have sent them over the years I don't remember one response. I still think though that when everything is working proper Lowrance is still the best unit out there. Although that SI units from hummingbird looks good too.