• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kabetogama report 6/2-6/9

What a great week on Kab. The Walleye's were amazing. Too bad we had to throw so many back. We caught more 23-25" than I could have imagined. No problem limiting out on the Northerns. The Walleye's were in Tom Cod along with 20+ boats. Everyone was great about it though. Nobody getting upset or mad or anything. Just a lot of congratulating on the nice fish. Also, wherever the wind was blowing, all you had to do was get to the windblown shores and I mean right up to them. Pitch the jig and minnow and wait. Wasn't long before the Northern and Walleyes hit. Lost Bay Island, Daley Bay, Sullivan Bay, etc.... Didn't matter as long as the wind was blowing in. Northerns were caught in Sullivan Bay and all around Cutover Island. Spoons were the lure of choice for the Northerns. Just cast and troll. Weather was real crazy. Rain and wind made it rough, but it seemed the worse the weather, the better the Walleye bite. So if you want them, you have to tough it out. Keep it simple though. Jig's and minnows for Walleye's, spoons for Northerns, and you will do fine.

Deer Horn resort was a great place to stay for the week. Very nice people. Already booked for next year. 354 more days until the next trip. But who's counting?

Jim's (on rt 53) down from Gateway was a much nicer store. More room to walk around, friendlier service. Gateway had way too much going on and everyone ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. And they really didn't seem to care whether you shopped there or not. We were told they were trying to sell. Maybe that has something to do with it. Going down the road to Jims was worth it. Also, his gas was 11 cents cheaper per gallon.

Good luck and keep your lines tight.

Ed Hornbaker

Yes, we caught some smallies too, but I forgot to mention them. We put them all back. I never ate smallies, didn't figure they tasted good, and I didn't want to kill what I wouldn't eat. Do they taste good? We caught about 6-8 throughout the week while we were looking for Northerns. On the Northwest corner of Cutout Island is a rock island reef. We caught a few over there and then more over by Three Sisters. We were using Orange Mepps Syclops. We weren't trying for the Smallies, they just hit the spoons. Great fight.

Lucky Enough,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Gateway. I know the owners will be disappointed to read that. I have known them for several years and they are good people. Maybe they were caught at a very busy time of day. I know they are also training some new help. Both Gateway and Jim's are great places - both are huge assets to our area and we are lucky to have them.

bklimek - drop Lonnie an e-mail. He and his family have been fishing smallies on Kab for a lot of years and he knows his stuff. [email protected]

LET IT SNOW