Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
USPENAMC

how do i measure my DRAW LENGHT and DRAW WEIGHT

USPENAMC

i just need to know how to measure myself for draw lenght and draw weight

im trying to get a used bow but without knowing my draw lenght i dont know what to ask for. also to know your draw weight you must be able to hold it around HOW LONG Comfortably please email me with answer or post here penasoccer@yahoo.com thanks

Deitz Dittrich

USP- go to a proshop, they will measure you.. there really is no other way to do it. And, depending on the bow/handle, my draw length will actually very some + or - about a 1/2 inch.

Draw weight is the max the bow will be at the strongest point. So a 60 lb bow will max at 60 lbs at the heaviest poin of the draw cycle. Most bows are about 60% let off So if you have a bow set at 60 lbs, so at full draw you are only holding about 36 lbs, give or take? Which is harder than you may think.. LOL

BLACKJACK

A bow shop will have an arrow marked in inches that they will have you put on a bow and pull back, that will tell you your draw length. While you're there, shoot a few of their new and used bows, that will give you an idea of what draw weight you can COMFORTABLY pull back. DO NOT GET A BOW THAT HAS TOO HEAVY OF A DRAW WEIGHT FOR YOU!! Bow hunting is more about accuracy, and if you shoot too heavy of a poundage, you'll start shaking when you have it drawn back (and also hurt your shoulder). Also while you're at a good archery shop, tell them that you are a rookie and have them give you some tips on shooting form, anchoring, etc.

Good luck.

USPENAMC

hello i went to a website where you are suppose to measure from middle finger to middle finger i did this and my lenght was like 64.5 and then divided it by 2.5 and i ended up with like a 25.5 lenght draw??? i dont think i have seen many bows for that draw lenght most are 27 and above i tried it several times and i might have varied a few points but not much ive been looking at some USED bows from some people and they seem to all be 28 29 30 31 and so on but not one have i seen in 26 do you recommend me then trying a youth bow????

USPENAMC

i will check a few shops and any of you know any Archery shops that take weapons trade ins?

USPENAMC

Pearson Ultra right-handed bow any one have any info on these bows the person has it set for 30.5". The draw weight is 60-80 lbs can it be lowered to say 26 draw lenght

Powerstroke

Hey Dave, The draw length thing is difficult because the width of your shoulders can be different. The standard measurement is kind of a ballpark figure.

Cabin Fever in Victoria is a great bowshop and they also sell used bows on consignment. Thats where I bought my used bow. Jeff and the folks out there are great. I know they will help you out.

As far as what you can pull, thats difficult cause its not the weight you cna hold the longest, that includes a 65-80% let off meaning you're usually holding only 12-20lbs at full-draw. Again, you'll want to go and shoot a few bows at different weights to find where you're comfortable. I shoot 62-67lbs depending on season and my clothing. No real science about it.

USPENAMC

how are you doing powerstroke long time no see. i guess this would be 3 years in a row thinking of buying a bow and never getting around to it. how was the past season /deer/turkey and everything else?

i shot a doe with my 870 rem i know put a stoeger 2000 on layaway for now and looking for that ever ELUSIVE bow he he.

would you care to give me directions to CABIN FEVER keep in touch my personal email penasoccer@yahoo.com

Powerstroke

Cabin Fever is straight west on Hwy 5. Go through Chan and the edge of Chaska. The next town is Victoria and it will be on the right side right after the gas station. Brown building across from the fire station.

I'll drop you an email. I'm gonna be heading out there this weekend.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      sheez got that right!!!!!!!!!
    • hunterdown
      I might be able to make this, I think Jr. will have the time off as well....so, maybe him and I?
    • Rick
      Spring turkey hunters hoping to bag a tom during the first two weeks of the season have until Friday, Jan. 26, to apply for a lottery permit. The season runs from April 18 to May 31 and is divided into six hunt periods, A through F (see table below). Hunt A and B licenses for firearms hunters age 18 and older are limited in availability and assigned via lottery drawing. Turkey lottery applications cost $5 and can be purchased online at mndnr.gov/licenses, by phone at 888-665-4236, or in person from a license agent. Successful applicants will receive a postcard in the mail by mid-February and can purchase their hunting license starting March 1. Firearms licenses for hunts C, D, E and F are not lottery-limited and will be available for purchase over-the-counter beginning March 1. All licensed turkey hunters can participate in Hunt F if they have an unused tag from one of the earlier hunt periods. Archery and youth hunters (under 18) are exempt from the lottery and may purchase a spring turkey license valid during all hunt periods, including hunts A and B. Surplus lottery licenses from hunts A and B, if available, will be sold over-the-counter starting in mid-March. Visit mndnr.gov/hunting/turkey for more information about turkey hunting in Minnesota. 2018 Spring Turkey Hunt Periods
      Hunt A: April 18 – 24
      Hunt B: April 25 – May 1
      Hunt C: May 2 – 8
      Hunt D: May 9 – 15
      Hunt E: May 16-22
      Hunt F: May 23-31 Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Youth and adults can learn to hunt turkeys this April with experienced volunteers who will cover safe hunting techniques, how to call-in turkeys, hunting tactics and field dressing a bird. “We teach the skills and techniques that allow new turkey hunters to become lifelong hunters,” said Mike Kurre, learn-to-hunt program coordinator with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “This has been a successful program and as a bonus, we love hearing how former participants go full circle to teach others how to hunt.” Participants can apply through Monday, Feb. 12. The hunts are Saturday, April 21, and Sunday, April 22, and provide opportunities to access locations that may otherwise be closed to hunting. “We get volunteers from the National Wild Turkey Federation and this is the 16th year we’ve cooperated for these hunts,” Kurre said. “Over the years we’ve introduced more than 5,000 people to these hunting experiences. We also work with the Minnesota National Guard to get military adults and their families into turkey hunting.” Details about how to apply and costs to participate are available at mndnr.gov/turkeyhunt. A pre-hunt orientation is required and all participants will need to have a valid firearms safety certificate or its equivalent. Youth must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Overall participation in the hunts is restricted by the number of volunteers and private lands that are available. Anyone interested in providing turkey hunting land for the mentored youth hunts should contact the Keith Carlson, Save the Habitat Save the Hunt coordinator for the National Wild Turkey Federation in Minnesota at kcanoka@comcast.net.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Gov. Mark Dayton has proclaimed Jan. 20-28 as Snowmobile Safety Awareness Week in Minnesota. This an opportunity for the Department of Natural Resources, volunteer safety instructors, the Minnesota United Snowmobilers Association (MNUSA) and its 250 member snowmobile clubs to join together to recognize the importance of safe, responsible snowmobiling. “It’s a fun and exciting activity, but snowmobilers should always remember to make safety a top priority,” said Conservation Officer Bruce Lawrence, DNR recreational vehicle coordinator. “They should also always use common sense and keep a clear head when riding.” Here are some other key safety points: Snowmobiling and alcohol don’t mix – don’t drink and ride. Smart riders are safe riders – take a snowmobile safety training course. Always wear a helmet and adequate clothing. When night riding slow down – expect the unexpected. Know before the ride  – always check local trail and ice conditions. Cross with care. Know risks and be prepared – make every trip a round trip. One is the loneliest number – never ride alone. Ride safe, stay on the trail – respect private property. To legally ride a snowmobile in Minnesota, residents born after Dec. 31, 1976 need a valid snowmobile safety certificate. Options for both classroom and online classes can be found at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/vehicle/snowmobile/index.html People can find Minnesota snowmobiling events and activities on the MNUSA webpage: https://mnsnowmobiler.org/get-involved/mnusa/events. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • eyeguy 54
      sounds like a hoot. hope to get there. 
    • Roscoe010
      Hi Wanderer, I am going up this weekend too.  Glad the weather will be warm! I will try a different pit this time, but had good luck last year.  I hope the fish will be active and hungry.
    • IceHawk
      Thanks Rick! Jeff hope to make it always a good time and laughs when you get a group of great people together. I usally do more jaw jacking  then fishing at these things but for me its just as much fun 
    • Rick
      I will donate a few goodies. I will send it to @Tom Sawyer if he messages me his address.
    • IceHawk
      Lol! Smurfy  Its not as easy to identify areas like the old days the ice towns in Mertens bay and in front of Steils old house on cedar island aren't there like years of past but she's still the same chain that you grew up on. And IMO better than when we wee younger. 
  • Share & Have Fun