Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
taugust27

Minnetonka Muskies ---HELP

8 posts in this topic

I am going for the first time on Tonka this week. What do you guys use for lures, what colors are good, what part of the lake should I focus on? I will launch probably on Grays Bay. Is there a smaller less busy launch??

Please, anything would be helpful.

Hi t, I like throwing cj's and grinders spinnerbaits black/brass,black/orange, firetiger or crappie. Mepps spinners have treated me well also. oh and some lure called a cowgirl hooked a few fish out there last year also tongue.gif. The east side by grays bay is as good of spot as any to start. there are no less busy launchs that I know of, thats how tonka is. This time of year spinnerbaits slow rolled have done best for me.

have had some luck using topwater in low light conditions on the bars. the bars are pretty easy to find with the buoys they put out. tallywackers, giant jackpots, top raiders, creepers, and some kind of top water bucktail that i cant remember the name. the only problem is that by the end of the day, there are so many pieces of milfoil floating around from the pleasure crafters chopping it up, it can get frustrating. but the key has always been really early or really late to avoid some of the boat traffic and trying to fish the bars that have the wind blowing into them. good luck.

I troll CJs and cowgirls right over the weeds. Can cover more water that way. I also troll topwaters from time to time especially at sunset on calmer days in the same areas. If you find any sandy areas in side the weeds cast to them. TBone has the colors spot on. If none of the above works then move to the outside weed edge and target the 15 to 18ft area slow rolling spinners or crankbaits like Ernies or Jakes. Muskies are pretty much all over the lake and the best spots have buoys on them. Nice of the authorities to mark them for us grin.gif One last tactic is casting to shaded docks close to the weed edges and deeper water. You'll get more big green carp than skies but I have got a few big girls doing that.

I have not done well with topwaters on Tonka this early in the season. For me the topwater bite is best starting in mid july and gets better with age from there on. Maybe theres something I'm missing?

Try the Muskie forum, loads of info, if yer serious! Best place for feedback !!!!

agreed, right around the first weekend in july seemed to be the better than june. i can remember seeing that big brown torpedo charging out of the weed edge at 1020 PM. there was just enough light to see it. didnt hit, but i could care less. i was just as fired up having that fish charge the boat.

I haven't been fishing specificaly for Muskies but have picked up a couple by dumb luck. One 41" trolling a Magnum Pro-King spoon for Northern, and 45" trolling a firetiger Husky Jerk a couple of weeks ago. I've had some luck dealing with the floating milfoil by attaching a church board mini TX6 which picks up the weeds and keeps them from sliding down to the bait. Keeps the bait away from the boat as well.