• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleyedan's Guide Service Report

It's a little moist out there this a.m., but by the looks of the radar we should be able to get ur trips in as planned today. Last week was good. The Gull Lake and Whitefish Chain are producing a lot of fish, but there are a lot of small ones that like to eat too. I was on Whitefish on Saturday morning and we found our walleye's in 12-30, scattered around. Red tail chubs and spot tail shiners were best for us. On Gull you seem to run into a few nice little schools of eaters for every 10 schools of little buggers. I think the little one's are beating the nice ones to the bait. We are working 12-22 on Gull and using the same presentation and bait (rig and a minnow). Mille Lacs is a good spot to be right now if you are looking for some fish with an attitude. We will be fishing the big lake numerous times this week and hopefully the wind doesn't crank too bad. If you are looking to book a guided trip please give us a ring.

Have a nice week,

Walleyedan

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the report, I caught a couple nice eye on Cross L. in 18-19 fow. I was using a white jig head and leech.

When you're catching those in 12fow, are you needing to take a different approach not to spoke them as if you were fishing out deep?

Thanks

anchor man what time of day were you on cross this weekend.....i went out from cross to whitefish on sat and sun morn to fish walleyes but i guess we didn't get up early enough!!

Ozzie,

I was at my first spot on Cross at about 5:30am, but didn't catch the eyes until about 7:30.

this weekend I think I am going to try to stay and fish cross.....any general areas you could give to help a newbie to cross????? i.e midlake humps or the sunken islands or just outside the deep weed edges......thanks

Same approach, you just won't typically mark many when you are that shallow. Just fish the spot for a while and if you don't hook up, move to the next piece of structure. They are shallow more often than we think, I think!

Today on Gull we caught a couple of dozen walleye's, but most were small.

Walleyedan

Ozzie,

I caught the two on a shoreline break on the east shoreline. There was an inside turn where I got the two within about 10 minutes. I tried the midlake humps and had no luck at all. I did see one boat on the hump furthest to the north who was in one spot for about an hour. Couldn't tell if he was catching or not. I too am very new to fishing eyes on Cross. Just like WF, a ton of structure to try out. Did you try some of the "usual" spots on WF last weekend?

Hey Dan, watch out, the Walleye Dan Whitefish fishing team is gathering next week on Upper Whitefish to indulge our senses in fishing, food and fluids. Stop by for a cold one by the "Terror Eyes"

Boomer cool.gif

Walleye Dan,

Looking for a report on the Brainerd area spots. MWT is coming to town first week of July, I'm sure everyone would love to hear your reports on Whitefish .

We will stop in and say hi.

Hi Boomer,

I was up there this a.m. trying to fish with the gusty wind (up to 35 mph out of the west and then northwest). Hopefully things mellow out a little and then it will be fun again. I will stop by if I have a chance, I did a drive by today and didn't see any activity at Dan's house. We caught about 8 walleye's, 5 or 6 northerns and a bass. We kept 3 of the walleye's and the rest went back. Our largest was a 21 incher that was caught on a red tail (rigging) in 17-22 feet. Hard to feel bites with the wicked wind. Topfive, what date is the tournament and are there still openings? I think there will be some nice fish caught using a variety of approaches. I am like most of the other guides that work the lake (rigging with live bait).

Good luck,

Walleyedan

Walleye Dan,

Thanks for the report. The MWT is coming July 8th, so I'm sure there will be plenty of people watching this forum to catch your weekly reports on Whitefish. This is the first time the MWT is on this chain, hopefully it will pay out with large baskets of eyes. You can check out the website at Polebender.com. I'm sure Tom and Jim will let you know if there are any openings in this months tourney. Stiff competition this year, winning baskets have been in or around 20lbs. Like every year it is a blast.

Keep the reports coming!

where is the weigh in for the tourny....might have to stop by and check it out.........

Dan, I was on Gull Sat. just out from the Gov't landing when everybody left from Maddens(???) for fishing tournament. Talked to one guy on the lake, he thought it was Camp Confidence tournament. Would you know where to get the results for that tournament if that, was what was going on.

Reason is some of the teams pulled up by me and were fishing walleyes and some were fishing bass. Would like to know if this is a annual event. because, we plan on setting up camping weekend next year, again to the Gull lake Rec Area and may have to look at getting into this tournament.

Robbo17,

It was. I was in it again (12th year in a row). You can go to confidencelearningcenter and see if the results are up. There were a lot of nice fish caught. Largest northern was about 10 and the largest walleye was 6 something, bass?? You can weigh 3 fish, we weighed 3 walleye's at 7 pounds 8 ounces. The winner in the walleye had 13 something and he was working an area that I had been fishing all spring. He caught one right by my marker. We were in 4th or 5th in the walleye division. There were a total of 85 boats. Call CC to sign up for next year 218-963-2234.

Walleyedan

The weight in for the MWT tourney is at Driftwood Family Resort. they are on the southwest shore of Upper Whitefish, very near the mount of Lower Hay Lake. Weight is again at 3pm. You will for sure see lots of large Walleyes, 9lbers have been the norm over the last couple of events.