Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crocodile

Spin-n-Glow

3 posts in this topic

I would like to try trolling some spin-n-glow for Walleye. How far behind the bait walker or egg sinker should I run the spin-n-glow? Would you bait the spin-n-glow with a crawler and how far behind the spin-n-glow should the bait be? The speed should be like a crawler harness 1 mph?

I'll use a floating spinner rig under special conditions. That would be a foam float in place of beads. In your case the spin'n glow in place of the blade and you'd use beads after that then the tandem hooks.

Distance from weight to spin'n glow depends. I'd be using it to stop a presentation and would want the spin'n glow to keep my offering off bottom or out of weeds. So use what ever distance for your intended purpose. I'd also wouldn't use a slip sinker. To do so would let the spin'n glow slip away from the bait as it rises. Instead I use a split shot between the swivel and rig. That way when I stop the snip'n glow rises with the bait.

Now those special conditions. Instead of a steady troll I'd either be pumping this along or stop and go. More times then not this is over structure. That action will trigger strikes but it also gives your presentation more time on key areas on a break. It also helps you keep your depth adjusted to bottom. Almost like pulling a jig but instead of laying on bottom on the falls it stay afloat.

I tie up a lot of spin n glow rigs. I use them a lot when I want to troll slowly and still have some vibration and color atraction that you cant get out of just a pill float etc.

Fishhing a spin n glow is very simple. I troll them as slow as .60 and up to 1.2. I like the bigger spin n glows in the St. Louis especially in June when the fish are in shallow weedy bays. On the area inland lakes I use the medium size and it seems to work well.

I will pull spin n glows on bottom bouncers, slip sinkers and with only a split shot above the leader. At times only a split shot on the leader lets you drop your bait back away from the boat for when fish are spooky or you are very shallow. Like 5' or less.

During a hatch try a small brown/orange spin n glow with a half a crawler troll very slowly.

Experiment with sizes, colors and weight types. You really cant troll these things too slow as long as the wings are turning.

Also try the Macs Smiley baldes/ dekota blades if you like spin n glows.