Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pikehunter461

Fishing Report

7 posts in this topic

Our group just returned from a week of fishing on NW Bay. We stayed at Amik Lodge with Vince Allen for the first time. It was a great place to stay- good service, good prices and private- only 3 cabins. As for the fishing- between 4 of us we easily caught 150+ walleye ranging in size from 12 inches to 26 inches. The fish were in 4-18 ft of water. Most fish came from 7-11ft. More then half of the fish were eaters! Best walleye fishing any of us have ever seen. Fish were caught on jigs with minnows, leaches, or crawlers. all seemed to work very well.

Fished Ash Bay for some football size smallies and had success until the storms moved in and dumped 4 inches of rain on us during our shore lunch.

Only caught one crappie- they were still staging but should be moving into the reeds this week with the warmer weather. The pike fishing was terrible! Only one fish over 30 inches and very few. I would never have expected such terrible pike fishing after the monsters we caught last year- pike were slow for everyone last week.

Overall, the walleye we amazing and the accomodations were good. I always hear about a lack of eater walleyes- I can tell you we caught lots of em! I guess we just were lucky to find them this year.

Good luck on the water!

Hey Pikehunter, we are heading to Amik lodge on the 20th, can you drop me a note about fishing NW bay? I have fished ash/paddy and the northarm since the early 60s, but never NW bay and am looking for some general pointers. Also, can you provide GPS points for vince's place or reference it agains birch point or some other point so I can tell on the map where we are staying.

Thanks

Bitz

pineglow at hotmail.com

Bitz- you have mail! If the spots did not show up for the map marked rainy lake 3, let me know and I will resend.

Thanks, I can't check hotmail from work so will look at it tonite.

Bitz

We are headed up to stay at Birch Point on 6/23. This is our third year and this time we have a GPS so will probably try Ash and Paddy Bays. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just got back from the north arm sunday.great fishing but crap weather!the smallies in ash were just starting to make their beds.no trouble spotting them.the big girls should be up soon.the best bait by far was a black shad colored bass assassin fished super slow.twitch it a few times and leave it sit for a 5 count and they usually hit it at about 4.never made it to paddy but with the awsome action in ash there wasn't any reason to leave other than the friggin' wind!had a big rain that washed stained water out of the mouth of little canoe creek.the wallies piled in there and we did very well on them but i bet the water is cleared up by now and they have dispersed.we trolled #7 shad raps along the wind blow shorelines and caught lots[and i mean lots!] of pike in the 30-38 inch class plus a few bass and a few walleyes.had a blast and can't wait to go back in july.good luck!

we will be over a Amik lodge the same time. across the water from you are staying. If you swing over we have the 16ft crestliner, I can point out some spots on Ash bay we have had good success in the last 4 yres. Do you have the canada lake maps? if so, bring them and I can show you on the map.

If you don't have the map(s) stop and pick them up. well worth the 20 bucks or so as they show the channels, rocks awash etc. They are the Canadian Hydrographic maps of Rainy. 6108 is NW bay and includes Ash/Alex and paddy bay.

Bitz

we have all 3 cabins until Sunday at amik, so drop on by.