Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D4 Army

Cedar lake by New Prague

7 posts in this topic

Is it worth the effort fishing for tiger muskies there?

Worth the time? It can be. I've caught a few nice skies out of there even though I don't target them. They hit my rapalas and beetle spins.

Some will argue the Muskie fishing use to be really good but has faulted a bit in recent years.

It can almost be impossible to fish Cedar due to heavy weed growth & blooms during the summer months. Target Spring & Fall.

IMO Cedar is very hard to fish. Either it's too choked with weeds to even drive the boat on it, or it's pea green soup. There are a ton of fish in there do doubt, but I think there are better options.

I agree, I think the lake is full of fish, but its tough. I tried all last year looking for walleyes with no luck. I did however hook a nice tiger while trolling crankbaits. I was out there on the opener this yearand it was a weedy mess. I have given up on that lake.

Quote:

I agree, I think the lake is full of fish, but its tough. I tried all last year looking for walleyes with no luck. I did however hook a nice tiger while trolling crankbaits. I was out there on the opener this yearand it was a weedy mess. I have given up on that lake.

No doubt it's very frustrating. I never fish Cedar during the day. I always choose the late afternoon & evening into nightfall. The fish are just way more active then. Also try fishing during light rain storms or after heavy rain days.

I fish tigers out there all the time and get some nice ones if you know where to get them but otherwise the eyes are really hard to get. i would say putting your time into getting the tigers there is a good idea...

I live on the lake and i wouldn't even bother touchin' it for a month or two yet. Its so choked with weeds you most certainly can't run a trolling motor in it. When you do hit it up though. I would recommend hittin' the south end. Although i dont do any ski fishin' thats were most of the muskie fisherman are hangin' out.