• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spincast reels for kids

crewdog

Question

Just wondering if anyone has found a spin cast reel that can handle slip bobbers. All of the lower cost or children model combos always seem to get hung up when i try to set the little guy up for some slip bobbering. It's still too early for him to switch to a spinning reel. any idweas help would be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I have three young daughters and they are using closed face reels. The problem with them is that they don't release line very well as a whole. I have one Diawa Gold Cast that does a great job, yet the exact same model on another rod is nothing but problems. Go figure.... I had decent luck with the Johnson, but the handles have a tendancy to come apart it you don't keep an eye on them. Bottom line - I am using them now, but I can't wait until they can move to open faced equipment.

The line pick up in closed face reels messes with knotted thread bobber stops most times. I've used those little flexible dog bone shaped things that you thread the line through and they don't get hung up as often. They aren't perfect but they can help. Sometimes depending on the bobber you need to use that thing along with a thread knot. There's another little rubber bumper kind of bobber stop out there too, I've never tried them but they look like they are less likely to slip on the line when using a closed face reel.

Good luck.

Crew, I went to Gander and picked up one of there Guide spinning reels for my daughter.I think it is a ul-5???

It is the ultra light one becuase most of the fishing we do is for panfish.

Also being smaller it fit's in her hands better.

Sifty

I dont know how old your children are, but I taught mine about 5-6 yrs old on how to cast an open face, believe it or not they are quick learners. That saying I have a 42 yr old friend that just cant figure one out. If you spend a little time with them, Im sure they will want to fish with the same type as dad does.

I agree with wandering eye, my little bro is turning 8 and will be getting an open faced spinning reel. He out grew batman...lol

I gave my 5 yr old daughter a citca spinning reel. The $29.99 one and an ugly stick. She can cast great and it is smooth. The snoopy rod was like grinding frozen meat in a meat grinder. That set up is so much better for reeling in larger fish.