Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bitz

steel leaders

7 posts in this topic

Anyone. I usually cast for smallies but sometimes when we limit out or just for a change, we troll cranks or frogs or something for eyes/slimmers. Do most of you use a steel leader when trolling the wind swept shoreline or humps?

How about when vertical fishing?

I have not in the past, but last year lost a couple of larger northerns and a really nice eye and tend to think they cut the line with the teeth? (could have been nicks etc, so don't really know for sure)

Thanks

Bitz

I troll a lot of cranks for walleyes. I will almost always use a leader (usually titanium because they don't kink). I don't think they bother the 'eyes or the pike at all (but I'm also trolling pretty big cranks). The only time I take them off is at night or a few spots where there are usually just 'eyes and few pike. We put 6 'eyes over 10 lbs in the boat last year and every one was caught with a leader on. I never used to use them but I got tired of feeding $6 lures to all those big pike!

I'll second Ashbay's response. Now that they are making thin profiled leaders I typically will use one trolling cranks weather for walleye or northern. If it is a real tough bite that may change my mind though. Up here your talking about $10.00 gifts to the lake when you get sawed off by mr.toothy.

a six or nine inch titanium leader can sure make the day alot more fun, and much less expensive.

great, thanks for the input from all. sounds like the answer is use a titanium all the way.

Bitz

Just wondering if you have tried a product called Toothy Critter. It is a tieable metal leader and comes in different wieghts. We used it last year with positive results. The nice thing about it is that you can cut it to whatever length you want. It is a lot cheaper than buying leaders. Just a thought.

I just started using Surflon Micro Supreme 7x7 by American Fishing Wire. Probably similar to Tooth Critter. I like it better than leaders in terms of ease of use and visibility to fish. You can use it with snaps and swivels or direct from line to lure. According to their website it's available in quite a few weights and colors. I have 13 & 20 lb. camo. Price is around $10 for 5 meters.