• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

filet knife.

frankfurter3

I've tried the Rapalas and normark filet knives. Kind of lousy in my opinion. What is a very good Filet knife? Nothing electric. I see schrade and buck make a filetknife.

I purchased a Cutco filet knife a few years ago and it has been very good. LeecH Lake knives I have been told are also a good one. I believe one needs to drop some coin to find one with good steel in it.

Another item that would be worth a look at is a new steel and a good one to sharpen the blade.

Welcome to fishing Minnesota and Hot Spot Outdoors. We look forward to your future posts.

I have an old rapala that is about 25 years old, I wouldn't trade if for anything. Not sure if the new ones aren't as good as the old ones or not. I just spent a bit of time re-doing the angle of the blade and give it a few swipes across the steel when I am done cleaning fish and you can litorally shave with the thing.

My votes for the Leech Lake knife. Got it for Father's Day last year and I love it!!

I agree with upnorth. Been using my rapala knives for decades. I keep one in my tackle box for shore lunches and one in my home for my usual cleaning. I'll keep up with the best of the electrics any day. I always touch up my blades on any filet knife I use after each cleaning job even if I don't think I need it. With any knife, the longer you wait between touch-ups the harder it is to resharpen again. I use about a 8 to 10 degree sharpening angle and it works great!

Bob

I have an old Chicago Cutlery 'Ttraveler' that I absolutley love! I've used it and sharpened it so much, it's half as thich as when I got it.

I almost pulled the trigger today on a Leech Lake knife. Everybody I know who has one, wouldn't trade it for any other knife. They cost $90, but from the reports I've gotten are well worth it.

Buy a Chef's Choice 3 stage diamond sharpener. It will keep an incredible edge on all your knives.

Good Luck!

Ken

Quote:

With any knife, the longer you wait between touch-ups the harder it is to resharpen again.

Exactly Bob!! It is much easier to keep a knife sharp than to sharpen a dull one tongue.gif

I believe that most will agree that a good steel and using it after every fileting will keep your blade sharp.

I also believe that after using some better brand knives that they will keep a better edge and filet better also. Thats just my 02 cents.

I own and have used three different Rapala knives and they will not clean the same amount of fish between sharpening as the Cutco knife I own.

Ditto on the Cutco knife. Cutco calls it the 'Fisherman's Solution'. I still have the Rapala for shore lunch, but the Cutco is awesome. Also, I use the drop point hunting knife for field dressing my deer. It's the only knife I have ever used that will cut the hock bone without having to pound the heel of my hand on.

--Mark

I've heard good things about the Leech Lake Knives.

I've worked with some Dunn knives, and they are top shelf, but $$$. The ones I am familiar with are for skinning, but their fillet knives look fabulous.

My everyday favorite fillet knives are the green handled Schrade knives. Sadly, Schrade is out of business. They have excellet steel, and they hold an edge way better than any of my wood handled Rapalas did.

I have a little higher end Rapala with the black plastic handle, and that knife has been a good one. It seems to have a little better steel.

I'd like to try a Cutco sometime. I saw a program with John Ratzenburger where he went to the factory. Very impressive.

Bought a Cutco a month ago. Its scary sharp. I've had or used most and the Cutco is the best in my book. I love how the blade length is adjustable.

I have had several different brands of fillet knives, Buck, Gerber, Rapala, folding Kershaw, Wal-Mart cheapo's and a Cutco. I have to say that the one I grab the most often is the Gerber, holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen. Then it would be a tie between the folding Kershaw and the Cutco, both are very nice knives. The one I like the least for what it cost is the Buck, blade it to stiff and it's a bit(h to sharpen.

i got a rapala one. It has a black rubber handle and all but the blade is different. I think it was called a thinn finn or somethin goofy like that but it works great. I think the blade is probably about 7 inches and its nice and flexible for skinning the fillets but it will cut through bone and scales just fine. but ever since i got it ive never seen one for sale anywhere so you would have to look around.

Leech Lake Knife. You need 2 sizes. One for big fish and 1 for pannies, They aren't cheap but, you get what you pay for sometimes. If you sharpen them on your own they get mad at you. $1.00 a year at the sports show is all they need. If they were'nt good people wouldn't pay $80.00 for a filet knife.

Ron

that brings up another benefit of the Cutco knife - its blade adjusts from 6-9 inches i believe so it's like having two knives in one. Also the forever guarantee is a priceless bonus on any outdoor product.

I really like my Leech Lake knife because of the flexibility of the blade. I just got a Rapala electric for my birthday but I just can,t use it when my LL knife is just sitting there.

Quote:

Buy a Chef's Choice 3 stage diamond sharpener. It will keep an incredible edge on all your knives.

I agree with Labs 100% on this one, I used to have the dullest knives around, now with my Chef's

choice all it takes is a few minutes every couple of weeks!!! One of my best presents ever!!!

Here's what I have and my rank best to worst.

Cutco Fishermans Solution (black rubber handle adj. length)

Cutco fixed blade (black plastic handle)

Gerber Black (rubber handle)

Chicago Cutlery Traveler (always in Tackle box)

Chicago Cutlery Fixed blade (Wood very easy steel touch ups)

Rapala (Old wood handle super flexible easy to sharpen)

Chef's Choice (Wood handle)

Rapala (Maroon plastic handle) garage duty absolute junk hard stainless!

I think my key is the sharpener I use a Edgemaker brand sharpener. I was sold when the guy took my Swiss Army knife at the Sports Show, sharpened it and filleted a piece of paper with my pocket knife! I have been using them for about 15 years now. They are one of the simplest sharpeners for me to use it's a no brainer. I see Gander Mtn. has them now. Used to be I'd only see them at the shows. I have another sharpener I bought based on FM'rs suggestion ~$5 and it's white plastic with a finger guard. I can't remember the name but it has 2 small carbide blades. Man does that thing take off the metal fast! It scares me so I only use it on my heavy meat knives!

Ferny.

I would suggest a knife from Custom Cutlery out of Iowa. The actually make the Leech Lake. The knife I prefer from them is a regular filet knife unlike the Leech Lake knife that has the cutting surface on the top of the blade as well as the hook on the end. Check out their website, they have great looking knives.

I have no idea what brand my fillet knife is. It's just a cheapo $10 knife that I've used for many years. Just keep a good sharpening stone at your side and they'll last a long time. smirk.gif

Does anybody know or recall the approximate cost of the Cutco Fisherman's Solution?

I found several sites on the web listing them for around $90+. Little pricey for my pocketbook, but that is only my opinion.

I was on eBay earlier today and there was one going for around $25 with a $35 Buy it Now. It closed earlier - don't know what it sold for though.

( Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank-you.)

I use the Rapala black handle knife that comes with a red sharpener. I don't think it's the best knife in the world, but it gets the job done, and it's a lot cheaper than the high end knives. I just assume that I'll have to buy 1 per year. I lose, damage, burn, destroy my stuff way too easy. That's why I go with affordable, effective, gear. From guns, poles, reels, etc. I don't like to baby my gear and I hate it when I break expensive stuff. If something is expensive because it is durable I will pay more for it, i.e. otter portables. Just my opinion and gear philosophy.

I use a Benchmade (model 10115) folding fillet knife (thanks Petey) and couldn't be happier with it.

Inexpensive, lightweight, and versatile.

My local butcher suggested a forschner fillet knife made in Germany. best knife i have ever had. they are not that expensive either

I have an early made Cutco and find the adjustable blade

is like having two knives As far as Rapala, I did find a really nice one that has a 3/8" inch wide blade that is

very flexible. I find the stainless blades to be less flexible (very important in a filet knife, as much as

sharpness). The "skinny" bladed Rapala is one

exception that I have found. I paid around twenty bucks

for it. The Cutco was around fifty when I got it. They

are around 70 bucks now??