Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ibfishen1962

Pelican Lake Info

24 posts in this topic

Can anyone direct me to some info on Pelican Lake northwest of Lake Vermillion. Am coming up to the area in a few weeks and would like to see what's going and what's not. Thanks and keep on fishen!!! confused.gif

You'll be missing the best fishing if you wait too long to come up. 2 weekends ago it was pretty good. I wish I could have went last weekend but I was up in the beedub. Im going this weekend...the bass fishing should be great, but it will be all downhill from now.(not to mention weeded up bad) Not too hard to fish Pelican....just use plastics...x-raps seem to work well too. You can catch stunted northerns all day long on anything thats semi-weedless.

Are the bass done spawning by now? What was the spring like? How are the water levels? I know last year they were pretty low... We're going up for a week starting Saturday. I'll be in a gray Bass Tracker with a 40 merc. My wife may or may not be with me!

See ya on the water!

Nate

Water levels should be way up now since it rains hard EVERY SINGLE DAY!

I'll be in a red lund rebel with a 25 yama 4 stroke...lets hope the winds stay below 20, or Im fishing a different lake.

Battled the wind on Pelican for 2 hours on sat. went and wasted time at Myrtle until 5pm then went back to Pelican and fished till 8 or so. Bass fishing has definately slowed way down from what it was...but we manged some....even caught a 10Lb Pike on a senko (Yes they get bigger than 2 lbs). Fished Pelican on sunday (HOT!) and did alright...kind of slow, though.

pics from both days.

l6.jpg

9 year old son

l3.jpg

l8.jpg

too much sun

l10.jpg

Sledneck,

It looks like you must go up there often or have a cabin on Pelican. I am looking at a cabin on it and was wondering do you ever find the walleyes in there? I see from the DNR report there are some in there?

Pelican lake has walleye- not huge numbers, but they have them. The avergae size is pretty large. Pelican is a bass lake, but if you are there and want a change of pace if you fish for the eyes, you will find them.

Quote:

Sledneck,

It looks like you must go up there often or have a cabin on Pelican. I am looking at a cabin on it and was wondering do you ever find the walleyes in there? I see from the DNR report there are some in there?

I only live 35-40 minutes away. Its a haul, but I can make it back home before falling asleep.

Quote:

Pelican lake has walleye- not huge numbers, but they have them. The avergae size is pretty large. Pelican is a bass lake, but if you are there and want a change of pace if you fish for the eyes, you will find them.

LOL...Ive always considered Pelican a Pike lake that has bass in it!

Sledneck-

Really? I think the pike are scrawny! A 30 inch pike on Pelican can't even come close to being comparable to a 30 inch pike from Rainy Lake or other fisheries in the region. I think the pike are skinny and have little girth compared to fish from qualty pke waters. The bass are quality. Am I missing something? I love Pelican Lake- great lake, great fshing, but I thnik the pike are less then impressive.

I wasnt talking so much about size. Locally its has been known as a Pike lake for the last 100 years. Now crappies and gills are probably the most fished species on the lake.

The pike are smaller there for some reason, but there is big boys mixed in. I remember me my dad and my son fishing 2 years ago speed trolling and boating probably 120 pike in a day... throw a spinner bait behind the boat and BAM! Be hard pressed to pull that many bass out in a day.

I did manage to catch a 33" that was 10 LBs on saturday.

Kab is my favorite big pike lake in the region.

Sledneck,

I'm heading up to Pelican this weekend. Any tips on what to use and best areas of the lake to hit for Bass and Northern.

fish shorelines starting in Orr Bay and fish the northside and all of the islands. Try senkos...xraps...spinner baits buzzbaits... I usually dont fish Pelican much after this time cause of the weeds. Late May early June seems to be the best time for size and numbers.

For northerns I just speedtroll buzzbaits or spinnerbaits. Buzzbaits seem to work good cause it keeps the hook above the weeds.

Thanks for the info ev1 - kinda got off my original question, but was able to store some of the good stuff! wink.gif

Let us know how you did and what shape the lake is in when you get back. Reports on Pelican are hard to come by but i guess that's the good news. Too many people cutting big fish on that lake already.

Sledneck what is Kab and were is it? Are 30 40 inchers normal? pike or msky of course.

I will be heading up to Pelican on 6/23. I am pretty stoked. I hear the weeds are coming up but I don't think that will slow me down. I'll post my results

Kab short for kabetogama. There is a forum on here for it. Check it out.

Just got back from Pelican. Fished Sat,Sun, and Mon. The weather on Sat. and Sun. was not great, plenty of rain and wind. The fishig was pretty good though.

Casted the bays and points and caught plenty of pike and smallies. A couple of smallies over 18".

Sunday afternoon we drifted the around the middle of the lake and was able to hook up with 4 nice walley all over 17" and a few 25"+ pike.

Trolled around Baldy Is. and caught numerous pike and some smallies there also.

The weeds are starting to come in but the a weedless Johnson silver spoon and spinnerbaits worked well if kept up above the weeds.

The bluegill fishing was also pretty good.

I will post the few pictures we took when it was not raining after my buddy returns on Sat. with the camera.

Thanks for the update!! I leave Saturday and will be on the lake for a week. I am hoping to hammer the sunnies but plan on doing some fishing for smallies and northern to break it up. I will post my results

Five days to go until I'm up on Pelican. I haven't been there since ice out! I'm looking forward to it.

Any advice on what will work in early July?

If you see a red Lund Tyee trolling about, that'll be me.

I've never fished this lake before and I will be up there July 19th. I was just curious on what to expect to catch in that lake. What usually works best for bait on the lake. Trying to catch anything. Is it true that the lake is really weedy? If so, would it be wise to use topwater lures or something that dives shallow? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance! Happy fishing all!!

Try to fish rocky areas away from the weeds. I usually try not to fish Pelican past june cause the weeds are terrible. Although, I went there last august and managed to pull a 5 LB bucketmouth off rock shore on a senko.