• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st trip to LOW

I am planning on heading up there this summer for a weekend trip. I have been there three times with my Grandparents as a child and we stayed at Adrians resort. I have never been there as an adult and haven't been up since 1979. Anyone got any suggestions on what would be a better timeframe? Mid to late July or Late Aug? Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.

I like the mid to late July time frame. Good time of the year for big 'eyes. In addition a guy can be equally effective fishing the reefs as well as trolling the basin areas.

Will you be fishing from your own boat or on a charter?

bring snap weights or downriggers

My own boat 16' mirrocraft with 75hp evenirude.

You can't go wrong from early July to mid August. Always a good shot at a biggun'. As far as areas to fish, with your boat the Long Point/ Rocky Point areas will put you close to the reefs and other hot spots that time of year. If you don't have downriggers you can get the job done nicely with longlined Reef Runners (my favorite) and deep Taildancers. Snap weights, small dipseys and leadcore will also put fish in the boat, but are somewhat more complicated. Live bait works too, just depends on how you like to fish.

Good Luck!

toddb

With a boat that size (dont worry it will be plenty big most days) I agree with Toddb on the Rocky Point-Long Point area. Many big fish producing community spots close by like Arneseon's Reef, 12 Mile, 16 Mile, Gull Reef etc.etc.

For live bait fishing I like to pull spinners/crawler harness in areas just adjacent to where the crowds are harassing the fish. Seems when these fish get pressured many of them will slide down off the structure a little bit and go neutral. The spinners do a good job triggering reaction strikes.

Pulling big deep diving cranks like Reef Runners & Tail Dancers in these areas is a great option too. You will improve your odds for a big walleye and can also pick up big bonus Pike patrolling the reefs as well. A copy of Precision Trolling and a decent line counter reel is a big help here.

Don't be afraid to take the trolling techniques out in the basin also. I've had decent luck in the no mans land areas North of Arnesons Reef and out off 16 mile at time too.

Finally. If you have a good GPS I would pick up the Lakemaster Chip. It will get you quickly to any of these areas and many of the smaller reefs and humps too. It's a great tool for someone new to the big lake.

toddb, have you or anyone else used any of the new deep diving rapalas yet? Just wondering how they work. I dont have riggers but I picked up some of those rap's and will be up to try them in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the replies! I don;t have riggers, but I am fairly proficient at trolling threeway rigs. I have weights all the way up to 20 oz. (I usethem alot in lk Superior). I just got my lakemaster hotspots N chip so I will look to see if the places mentioned are on it.

I love LOTW. Best fishing anywhere. They have a slot but it's to ensure the breeders are left alone and the eaters you can keep. My best opener was up there.

We're going to LOTW the middle of July & staying at Zippel Bay Resort. What are likely to be my best bets & tactics from there? I'm hoping to get my kids into some fast walleye action, I'm not that concerned with catching big fish.

How far of a boat ride would Long Point/Rocky Point be from there?

I've got a 16' boat with a 50hp.

Spinners and crawlers will work. Also crankbaits will be going that should produce larger fish it usually does. As far as the ride that would probably be in the 10-12 mile range. Not bad on a calm day but not one I would be interested in if there is some wind. Long Point is closer going from Zipple than Rockey.

slammer,

The #11 Deep Taildancers will get to 30' easily. The gold metallic perch is a beautiful bait, and the walleyes and big northerns like 'em too. I use 14# fireline and run anywhere from 100' to 150' out depending on depth and where the fish seem to be at that day. If you are coming up to troll deep water, I think it would be a sin if you didn't have some reef runners also. Similar line lengths for them also (make sure they are tuned so they track straight). Deep little rippers and deep #9 taildancers will also get you where you need to be with a 1 or 2 ounce snap weight.

good luck!

toddb

I will be up thursday - monday. Are the jigs/minnow - spinners still working, or are they moving out. any info would help

thanks

Eight to ten miles by water. I've only once done that ride.