All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. . What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
  3. Yesterday
  4. So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
  5. On the south end... Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating. Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap. The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas. 8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket. Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn, This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th. It should be epic. On the Rainy River... An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River. Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish. This spring was one for the books. To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day! We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range. Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well. The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st. Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing. One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker. Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle... Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current. The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike. Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well. If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!
  6. Early bird gets the worm some say... I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.
  7. Last week
  8. got mine done........for the cabin.....ready for summer festivities!!!!!! there was still frost in the ground...........but good gawd are the lakes low!!!!!
  9. How many walleye were on the stringer on their way out???
  10. Saw the first boat of the year yesterday, heading towards Black Bay
  11. All of the webcams appear to be ice-free except for shore ice. It looks like you could navigate most of the way on Vermilion at this point. Happy boating everyone.
  12. I'm the same on honey do lists. I seem to feel better doing my list than my wife's list, even though they my be similar.
  13. these were that way.. I thought the deep fried rocky mountain oysters were better...
  14. Yeah, I saw there was a few in the last week or so. I like the smaller crispy crunchy ones Mike!
  15. they had one in LP last friday night... smelt were the size of my little finger....
  16. Anyone know of any Smelt fries coming up in Central, MN? I know Brooklyn Park Lions does one on April 18th I thing.
  17. Earlier
  18. Daisy Bay was ice free Sunday evening when we left our cabin
  19. On the south end... This is the time of year some are still ice fishing on the main basin of Lake of the Woods and others are open water fishing out of boats on the Rainy River. It's nice to have options! Ice anglers targeting walleyes are being rewarded with good catches of walleyes, saugers, and some jumbo perch. Most action is in 18 - 25'. Pike enthusiasts are finding big pike tip up fishing in prespawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas. Tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water has been the pattern overall. Soon, pike will be sliding into back bays to spawn, which creates an entirely different fishing opportunity. The pike season on Lake of the Woods never closes. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Anticipation is high for the MN Fishing Opener, which is Saturday, May 11th. Good numbers of walleyes and saugers are currently staged in many locations along the south shore. On the Rainy River... Open water has made it all the way to Four Mile Bay. Walleye fishing and sturgeon fishing has been excellent. The water clarity is still very good and there are a lot of fish in the river. Boat ramps are open all the way to Wheeler's Point. Birchdale, Frontier, Vidas, Timber Mill Park in Baudette, and the Wheeler's Point boat ramp at the mouth of the Rainy River are all open. Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the ticket for most spring walleye anglers. Don't forget about slow trolling crankbaits against the current as this is a very effective technique this time of the year. Sturgeon are active and being caught on the river as well by both walleye anglers and those targeting sturgeon. Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker. Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle... Open water is appearing in some of the areas with current such as Flag Island Flats, Minnesota Point and Million Dollar Rock, just to name a few. The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.
  20. I think that Cliff W always used to say that ice out typically came two weeks after Pike Bay, on average. Black Bay has been open for a few days as well with just ice on the southern shore protecting our docks until the ice flows have melted. The cameras make it look like Head O Lakes is still locked up, but on the Vermilion web cam page there is an island cam pointed at Spring Bay which looks partially open. That's a good sign. With low temps consistently above freezing in the forecast, I'm with you that it should be mostly open by the end of this weekend.
  21. Was up Sunday and Monday. Wanted to put my new (50 year-old) boat into my boathouse but there was still some ice along the shore in Stuntz Bay so I parked it in my garage. Stuntz Bay was mostly open on Sunday afternoon with a little shore ice and a few ice chunks in the bay and by sisters islands. Monday afternoon Big Bay was still locked in, but the main body was very dark. No melting by the shore at McKinley Park other than the small spot right by the landing where water always flows into the lake. Seeing that Pike Bay cleared April 6th (I believe), I think Vermilion will be ice free a week later (typical) on Saturday, April 13th.
  22. Sounds like it's going, anyone been hitting it? It would be fun to try it again, love me some deep fried Smelt!
  23. LOL nope rarely if ever hit a bar up there....yea i make my own honey do lists!!!!!!!
  24. thats one of the things on my honey do list when i get there!!!!! maybe even a few casts of the dock!!!!!
  1. Load more activity

• Members Online

• rumeye

rumeye 44

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • Big V Bobcat

Big V Bobcat 18

• mbeyer

mbeyer 59

• Mike89

Mike89 677

• Horndog

Horndog 0

• Mark1973

Mark1973 1

• Flatlander

Flatlander 0

• smurfy

smurfy 1,655

• BWpineisland

BWpineisland 69

• mcmsek

mcmsek 0

• gimruis

gimruis 861

• dornkane

dornkane 0

• Grouse Slayer

Grouse Slayer 0

• CigarGuy

CigarGuy 502

• ozzie

ozzie 404

• mdogdaddy

mdogdaddy 11

• leech~~

leech~~ 1,965

'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
    • Kettle

Kettle 781

• Pigmeat

Pigmeat 32

• fishinhokie

fishinhokie 0

• PSU

PSU 115

• jim curlee

jim curlee 110

• StillFishin'

StillFishin' 46

• rangedog

rangedog 0

• StecilG

StecilG 0

• tinker

tinker 43

• fishfry1

fishfry1 0

• Lee

Lee 0

• BirchPtMike

BirchPtMike 15

• Brianf.

Brianf. 168

• JerkinLips

JerkinLips 1,201

• Skibo

Skibo 53

• FishinCT

FishinCT 124

• Troy Smutka

Troy Smutka 373

Official Fishing Report Team - MN
    • Big Stick

Big Stick 0

• rossthefisherman

rossthefisherman 0

• mulefarm

mulefarm 48

• Finns

Finns 40

• fishingstar

fishingstar 105

• GopherFishing

GopherFishing 16

• Fish Head

Fish Head 143

• LBerquist

LBerquist 86

• Dash 1

Dash 1 160

• delcecchi

delcecchi 623

• Rivergroup

Rivergroup 23

• rundrave

rundrave 184

• BlueEarthWalleyeGuy

BlueEarthWalleyeGuy 0

• chucker1101

chucker1101 105

• chaffmj

chaffmj 266

• redlabguy

redlabguy 175

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.