Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Get ready !!

Bummer
  3. Yesterday
  4. click below to check different areas. there are maps to click on also. just scroll to find. pretty neat tool. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cwdcheck/index.html
  5. Get ready !!

extended forecasts look good up north. We won't have fish-able ice in the metro until at least the 2nd weed in December assuming no dramatic temp changes. The big Expo is Dec1-3 but temps look promising ~1.5hrs north. I wonder if the ability to go fishing might impact the amount of traffic at the show!
  6. There's preliminary testing then if flagged it gets shipped to a lab I believe in CO to verify the results.
  7. 10 day forecast doesn't show anything with low temps below 15 degrees. It might make ice but it wont be making it necessarily fast.
  8. Thanksgiving would be nice...but first week of December still works! Rogers on Red is already allowing wheelers and sleds...no side by sides yet.
  9. A 30-foot-tall white spruce, selected as the state’s official Christmas tree, was cut down today in the General C.C. Andrews State Forest, near Willow River. The tree will be set up at the governor’s residence, 1006 Summit Ave., St. Paul, around 9 a.m., Monday, Nov. 20. The tree will be lit Monday, Nov. 27. DNR staff and the Conservation Corps of Minnesota cut the tree on the Friday before Thanksgiving each year from one of 59 state forests. However, the search for just the right tree begins months before. DNR foresters keep an eye out for a tall tree that’s nicely shaped and well filled out. It also needs to be in a location where it will not be damaged when dropped and then easily pulled out and loaded onto a trailer. Minnesota’s state forests provide clean air and water, recreational opportunities, wildlife habitat, timber and special forest products. This year, small businesses are making 150,000 wreaths with balsam boughs harvested from state forest lands. The estimated annual sales for Minnesota companies producing holiday wreaths exceed $23 million and Minnesota’s public lands support a large share of this economic activity. Each holiday season, half a million Christmas trees are harvested from private tree farms in Minnesota, contributing about $30 million to the state’s economy. For each tree harvested, one to three trees are planted. Real Christmas trees store carbon during their lifespan. They can be chipped for mulch when the season is over, making them an environmentally friendly choice. More information and details on viewing the tree is on the state Christmas tree page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  10. if it ever comes down to those 2 choices for you, do the eye thing. Cant fish with you if yer dead.
  11. Looks like Big Bay is still open, so I don't think I'll be ice fishing Thanksgiving Day weekend. I'm guessing the Big Bay will freeze this Sunday or Tuesday. Lake should be walkable by December 2 when I plan to go up.
  12. Why do you think I come here everyday? It's better then poking your eye with a sharp stick or slitting your wrists!
  13. I don't see any serious cold snaps in the next 2 weeks so its likely open water will still be in play for those brave enough to try it.
  14. Get ready !!

Now is tough time. I was watching bays ice over a week ago and they are wide open again this week. Could be ice fishing in 10 days, could be ice fishing in a month. Who knows? I have a work trip to North Dakota in 2 weeks and I've been clinging to the hope they might be iced over so I can fish a little afterhours. Probably a longshot. I've already spooled the reels, cleaned and organized the gear, charged the batteries. Trying not to fishing-shop myself into financial woe. Even tried to celebrate open water by wading in neoprene waders and trying to find some sunfish on wetflies. No dice. Ugh.
  15. Miltona is wide open, there will be quite a few boats out there this weekend. Most lakes south of Miltona are fishable by boat.
  16. Can the DNR or who ever reported this, never use this word again "presumptive" when dealing with Wildlife disease results again! It can be better used as, "We are awaiting the presumptive proof of Al Franken touching a boob." But not about Wildlife issues!
  17. It's all open...it's ready to go..But we won't see any big time cold for awhile..Still in better position then last year. I was open water fishing the first weekend of shotgun in a t-shirt last year. We'll be alright.
  18. Early Ice pike

Be careful in Vineland bay, even though the river runs out there, there is still some current. It's very sandy there. Find vegetation along a drop off and you'll find pike. If you are going on foot you can walk out of the East access at Father Hennepin and hit a drop off pretty close to shore. Let us know how you do!
  19. Last week
  20. 2017 duck season

Interesting on the common merganser. I want to go but I'm not sure either. I was hopeful our go to lake would be open. It is but locked up tight with ice from the landing (in a sheltered bay) several hundred feet out to the more open part of the lake. Haven't seen anything on it either. Our lake is wide open and bait shop owner says he remembers terrific late season hunting on the channel full of cattails into the neighboring lake, and I've seen birds flying by, but will have to monitor the weather. Not launching the boat if its in the 20s and gale force winds. If it was warmer and a light wind, why the heck not? My wife is also saying no, don't go. We have a lot to do this weekend. I'm like, I would go right on our lake and likely be done and in the house by 9:30 Saturday morning. I would doubt you'll be up by then. lol.
  21. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is hosting a veteran employment seminar Jan. 3 in St. Paul. Many veterans want to work in a natural resources environment, and many military skills translate into DNR positions. “If you’ve served in the military, you probably have a lot of experience in many of our professional areas,” said Don Matthys, DNR management resources regional supervisor and U.S. Army retired. At the seminar veterans will have the opportunity to talk to DNR staff who work in the areas of logistics, fisheries and wildlife, informational technology, GIS and mapping, forestry, operations, communications, safety, real estate forestry, enforcement, human resources, engineering and landscape architecture and more. It’s a chance to find out from those who work it every day what the different job responsibilities include, education requirements, and how military work experience translates. Human resources staff will provide information on how to apply for DNR jobs, set up job searches, and receive job posting notifications. Veterans will also be on hand to answer questions about how to successfully juggle military – civilian commitments. Information on DNR veteran support resources will also be available. “I can’t imagine a more military friendly employer,” said John Peterson, DNR emergency planner and currently serving with the 2-135th Infantry MN National Guard. “The DNR has always been incredibly supportive of my service in the National Guard.” This event is free and will be at the DNR Headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road N., St. Paul, MN 55101. Space is limited so, registration is required. Register for a time slot between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Go to: http://tinyurl.com/dnrvets2018 Veterans will receive a welcome packet with additional information when registration is confirmed. The DNR is Yellow Ribbon Company – a veteran friendly employer. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  22. Comments accepted through Dec. 22 The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has released a public review draft of a five-year action plan for the sustainable use of groundwater in the Little Rock Creek Area, in central Minnesota, south of Little Falls. The plan and a feedback survey are available on the DNR Little Rock Creek Area webpage at www.mndnr.gov/littlerock. Comments will be accepted through Dec. 22. The DNR launched the planning process in response to evidence that groundwater use was affecting the quality of Little Rock Creek, a designated trout stream. Well pumping tests in the area indicated that groundwater use was depleting the stream. A statewide watershed health assessment indicated that water appropriation in the Little Rock Creek Area was high. Additionally, a Minnesota Pollution Control analysis found that cumulative groundwater use across the area was reducing stream flow. The DNR’s draft plan is designed to ensure that groundwater use in the Little Rock Creek Area will continue to support local economies, be protective of the environment and provide for continued outdoor recreation. The DNR created an advisory team that included local irrigators, residents and government officials so the agency could hear and consider different perspectives as the plan was developed. The DNR will host a public meeting Saturday, Dec. 9, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Little Falls Community Middle School Commons, 1000 1st Ave. NE, Little Falls. DNR staff will answer questions and provide opportunities for comment on the draft plan. More details will be available closer to the event. “The DNR recognizes the importance of groundwater to agricultural irrigators, livestock operators, small businesses, municipalities and individual families in the Little Rock Creek Area,” DNR project manager Mark Hauck said. “Groundwater is the source of domestic water for nearly 6,000 local residents. As the area’s economy and population continue to develop and grow, groundwater will become even more important.” The draft action plan lays out the steps that the DNR will be taking over the next five years to better understand the relationship between groundwater use and the ecosystems of Little Rock Creek and work with people from the area on ways to manage water use in the future. No permit modifications will be made during this period. In addition to the public meeting, questions may be addressed to Mark Hauck at mark.hauck@state.mn.us or 320-223-7846. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  23. Can anyone keep us up-to-date with ice conditions. Thank you
  24. Could someone give ice reports from Miltona now until Thanksgiving day? Really want to go that weekend if possible.
  1. Load more activity

• Members Online

• cat44

cat44 15

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • chaffmj

chaffmj 38

• RGB

RGB 0

• Horseshoe_Don